Female Lighting Designer Wins First...

thorin81

Leading light Constable wins first Hospital Award for Theatre

Lighting designer Paule Constable has been presented with the inaugural Hospital Award for Theatre.
The accolade was one of nine prizes given out to people working in the creative industries by the London-based arts and music facility and private members club. The panel of judges for the theatre category included Old Vic Theatre Trust chief executive Sally Greene, Almeida Theatre artistic director Michael Attenborough and Michael Grandage, artistic director of the Donmar Warehouse.
Grandage commented: “In a male-dominated profession, she is the only female lighting designer ever to win an Olivier Award. The breadth of her work alone in the last twelve months demonstrates her versatility.”
Constable has worked on Cosi Fan Tutti at Glyndebourne, Don Carlos at Sheffield Theatres and in the West End, Evita in the West End and, most recently, on A Moon for the Misbegotten at the Old Vic.
“It is both thrilling and surprising to be singled out for this award,” said Constable. “Thrilling because it makes me incredibly proud and surprising because the judges did not choose to give it to the more obvious - an actor, manager, building - but to a lighting designer. Lighting design is rarely acknowledged and this award puts all lighting designers in a stronger position.”
As part of the awards, Constable will contribute her time to a mentoring scheme for the creative industries which has been set up by The Hospital.

This is just way to cool to pass up. I really hope that the females on the site are going to read this and see that it is possible to be successful in this field. Most of the students that I have ever taught think that if you are not a male and have family ties to the industry you will never be successful. This just shows that that is WRONG!!:grin:

sweet! i was given a trade magazine by my ATD and i was flipping thought it and i found an interview with a female LD (i'm in college for lighting design and i'm a girl so it was really cool). i suddenly knew why he'd given me that particular issue. then this summer i worked for a woman that was co-owner of a sound and lighting company and she LDed every show they were hired for. and now this happens, i guess i'm getting into this field at the right time ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back