The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Fight choreography

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by tekgoddess, Dec 29, 2007.

1. tekgoddess

tekgoddess Member

Hi, Anyone out there know how and where to hire a fight choreographer for West Side Story? I'm in South Florida and the feelers I put out went unanswered. Fl. is a free work state and apparently no one is really interested in teaching good, safe and challenging street fighting.
    Peace,
    Tekgoddess

2. soundlight

soundlight Well-Known Member

I highly reccomend Samantha Phillips. She choreographed the chokefight for our production of true west, as well as all of the punches and other stuff. She also taught an amazing stage combat master class, which I attended. We did some hand-to-hand/kicks and punches, fighting with objects (I got to use a steel condiut bender as my object!), and other fun stuff. She's done all sorts of things, as her resume will attest.

3. jonhirsh

jonhirsh Active Member

Toronto, Ontario and Valencia, California
  4. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

Moving this thread to General Advice, as Suggestions is meant to be about improving Control Booth.

5. gafftaper

gafftaper Senior Team Senior Team Fight Leukemia

Theater Manager & T.D.
    Put in some phone calls to the local community theaters and/or college/university with a large theater program.

Also contact the South East chapter of USITT.

There is definitely somebody in your area, you just haven't found them yet.

6. Footer

Footer Senior Team Senior Team Premium Member

Or make a post on backstagejobs.com, it could turn up someone, and its free. Artsearch would also be a good place to post it, but that costs some cash.

7. Joeyc329

Joeyc329 Member

I am a fight choreographer in the S. FL Area. I've worked with many local schools and universities. I've just finished working on W.S.S. this past weekend for a high school in Palm Beach. I've also done WSS for PBAU as well as several other productions. I am a certified Actor/Combatant with the Society of American Fight Directors. On Feb 2-3 I will be teaching a stage combat workshop for the Kravis Center In Palm Beach. If anyone is in need of a choreographer please contact me @ [email protected].

Joey Costello
    Heroes Four Hire, Inc.