fight music

I don't know the show, but i generaly use Eye of the Tiger by Survivor or I Dissapear by Metallica. but really, there's an almost infinite number you could use.... Paranoid by Black Sabbath, Don't Tell Me (feat. Tiki) by Concord Dawn etc, etc etc.....

dramaticly, if you start playing black sabath durring a fight sequence, which is usually the climax of the play you are going to lose you audience.... i would sudgest either not having the music or something purely instrumental that is not techno or any modern form

Why would that lose an audience?

we recently did a production od back to the 80's. there's a fight scene in that, and the orchestra just belted out a rendition of "eye of the tiger". and it worked great.

why not use something that's really "in your face"?

i was thinking more classical such as ride of the valkyries or Gayane: Sabre Dance would be nice.

For classical, my suggestion would be Carmina Burana by Carl Orf but you might need to do some editing to remove the softer sections, if you want more of an impact. Otherwise, allow it to build up into the climax.

Modern – Smack my ***** up by The Prodigy springs to mind as an in your face type of number. Although, it my be inappropriate.

Whilst I like Eye of the Tiger, I think it tends to be a bit overdone and people almost expect to hear it when a fight scene occurs.

Another thing that has just occurred to me is the use of lighting also. I am not familiar with the play but a few years ago I was in Caen and visited a war museum (Caen was one of the landing points in Normandy during WWII) and they showed actual footage taken during the landing. There was some strobing FX, not a lot, just subtle that actually made you feel like there were shells exploding around you. Next, they played footage from German cameras but placed it next to the Allied footage. The effect was astounding; as you didn’t know where to look (did you watch the footage on the left or the right). I think it was the closest you could come to imagine the confusion that these soldiers faced. I spoke to a lot of people as we left that section of the exhibit and some were veterans, who had made the trip back to celebrate the 50th anniversary of D-day and they said it seemed all too real to them. Some were crying, some looked very pale.

Now I know it is not practical to duplicate the fight scene but I wonder how you plan to use your lighting to bring the audience into the fight, to make them feel a bit on edge – if at all. I think the fact that the footage was in black and white also made it more dramatic as it was sometimes difficult to distinguish between sides. I guess it depends upon whether your fight scene is a dramatic struggle in which you want the audience to worry about who will win or an uplifting underdog beating a repressive force in the comic/Hollywood hero style, which would call for a different look and feel.

Probably didn’t help too much but just some ideas that came to mind.

Probably doesn't fit the scene but if you want classical music with a punch tries the Dies Irae section of Verdi's Requiem. (first of all, with a name like god's fury its got to be good...)

If you want nonstop familiar angry fight music that was written pre-1900 i'd defenatly say Valkeries. something ver dramatic about it,. you may find that an orchestral version would work better then teh origanal with voices. i personally prefer it with the voice but the orchestra version sounds angrier and.... whoops sorry. this topic is going to make me ramble for hours, i a big classical music buff......

need more selection for classical music pm me. again i don't know the show either so i don't know what you need

I am unfamiliar with the production, but in the past if I needed to humorously add fight music, I used the stock "fight music" from old Star Trek.

o, also, the rumble music from west side story always says fight to me......might be a little cras borrowing music from one show to put in another but whatever works...

tenor_singer said:
I am unfamiliar with the production, but in the past if I needed to humorously add fight music, I used the stock "fight music" from old Star Trek.
Hah, that's great, I'll have to remember that one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back