Career Advice Film and TV jobs, how do you get started?

JimmyM

I am currently in school working towards a BFA in tech theatre, Lighting and Sound focus. I am aware of many resources for careers and career paths in the theatre industry, but film and TV has always sounded interesting to me.

I am curious what the best resources out there for someone looking to find out more of that half of our industry, both for careers and forum type things.

I know at the moment it's a bit murky, but I am still in school for over a year, so I'd like to at least have an idea what to expect before I graduate.

From the research I have done, especially from Reddit, there are some job postings sites(which you have to pay for, which kind of makes sense, but is also annoying) and like much of our industry is based on contacts. I also know it's probably a good idea to be located on the west coast/LA area, I currently live in Michigan, but have considered the real possibility of moving soon after graduating, assuming I can find a decent job.

Thanks for any insight.

PS: I still see myself being involved in the theatre world in some capacity, but wouldn't mind switching it up, besides, film/TV seems like it might get back to full force sooner than our industry, due to the lack of live audiences and more flexibility for the considerations of the coronavirus.

I can't really provide specific advice but I will tell you that you're entering a freelance market, not one of full-time employment unless you're working directly for a company. My experiences lay all in reality TV and from what I have gathered the line producer staffs out department heads and the director provides some input on the creative staff. From there the folks in charge hire down their departments. IE audio gets told there is budget for 2x A2's, they go out and hire A2's they know and trust. It's really still all about who you know.

I've been a stagehand for a decade, with everything closed I've been turning to film. For the last few years I've been on the referral list for IATSE Local #52 out of Long Island City but the list is closed up right now - the issue is that there are still more unemployed folks than available positions. I was hoping originally to work in by getting put on a call short on labor, I've done some day work but nothing that has provided me a ton of knowledge on how scripted TV work.

There are a number of Facebook groups in various markets that cater towards getting entry level non-union gigs in film production, mostly reality or documentary shoots - I joined a few of these groups and was just diligent about sending my resume to folks and pleading with them to take a chance on someone who had almost no film experience. I'm now shooting my second TV series of the year, and while I'm driving trucks and picking up coffee orders and running errands it's given me the chance to network and sell myself to other departments who have taken my resume and are considering me for work based on the work they saw in my entry-level position (and after being a touring audio mixer for a while, I can safely say I have zero desire to do film audio! Not enough action to keep me mentally engaged, so I'm sticking with the trucks for now).

You start as a PA and figure out which departments to strategically network with. If you want to move into Camera maybe you convince the PA coordinator to let you do errands for the AC's that day, pick up some knowledge, and drop that you're interested in being an AC and hope someone calls out for work and they take the chance to call you. Then one day when you're an AC maybe a Camera op calls out sick and you get to fill in. Same goes for the grips, start as a PA, help them move heavy stuff, and explain you want to know how to do Grip & Electric work. It seems to me that some folks used college internships to bypass this route - working on cruise ships or local news networks as an entry level media manager gave some folks a leg up to bypassing PA work, but from everyone I've talked to I'd say 75% of them started as a PA and worked into a department.

Research IATSE Studio Mechanic locals. That is a local that has stagehands who work specifically on film sets. Research what their requirements are for getting in, over hire, apprenticeship, journeyman status

You mentioned the west coast/LA. I would pump the breaks on that. There is some film/tv work going on there now but it’s in no way at the level it was a year ago. The situation with COVID in California in regard to the state government is pretty unique, that is a whole other conversation. A lot of people are just leaving L.A currently.

You will discover that as a stagehand you can live in other places besides L.A and work in film. Atlanta, New Orleans, Austin, and Albuquerque/ Santa Fe are some cities that have strong film industries in them and studio mechanic locals. As far as the world of production design and art departments in the film industry, from my experience those people all live in L.A but they don’t work in L.A, does that make sense?

My two cents, if you fully commit to working in film I don’t think you would have the time to work in theatre much. The work load in the film industry can be just as hectic as regional theatre.

My experience has been mostly in musical theatre, but it was rarely the job that paid the bills.
What did was a church. Continuous stream of money and especially now, broadcast is #1.
When I started we had an old grass valley analog switcher and I learned how broadcast video worked using that, our studio cameras, betaSP and DVCAM and as it progressed, how other formats worked into that. One guy I worked with has moved on and during covid, the church has replaced all but 1 camera with some pretty cool looking robotic cameras.
Churches are the only sector I know of that gets to play with as much equipment and has nearly free reign, every week, to be creative. For me the enjoyment comes from the creative part, not necessarily the gear part. Also the schedule is great. Never a late night except maybe Christmas, so I was still able to work at the theatre and the only sucky part was Sunday morning if I had a long show the night before.

An afterthought I had, on what parts of our industry will come back first, I believe you should be looking at it geographically. I really don’t think it’s going to be a situation where film comes roaring back first, or themed entertainment, corporate, etc.

I really think that the virus has affected different parts of the country in an array of devastation. With that said, keep in mind that you may have regional theatres open up say the south west first as opposed to New England due to the difference in the rate of infection. I’m just spitballing hypotheticals here. Or maybe trade shows and corporate events could be held in the northeast because infection is low but can’t be held in Florida because infection is to high.
Just something to think about but I think that’s a more realist way to think about it as oppose to specific industries. Disney is open in Florida in a limited capacity but is dark in California for the foreseeable future.
There will be regional theatres that will not open back up once this is done. Same thing can be said about some production companies who work on million dollar trade shows. Who knows, some theme parks might be sold of to a Chinese bank as a toxic asset because a certain rodent sees it better to do that instead of investing the money to try to bring it back itself. Meanwhile that rodents theme park in another part of the country does fine and comes back.

just a thought.......

An afterthought I had, on what parts of our industry will come back first, I believe you should be looking at it geographically. I really don’t think it’s going to be a situation where film comes roaring back first, or themed entertainment, corporate, etc.
Actually this has already been proven in NYC, film and TV is the only thing going...

TV is up and running in a limited capacity in the UK, too. Filming of drama and light entertainment with lots of mitigation in place. Strictly come dancing (Dancing with the Stars) is up and running with each couple in an isolation bubble All the group dances were filmed in advance by isolating the entire professional team for 14 days with the crew, then filming the whole series group numbers in one hit. Then they were paired off, and each couple first isolated for 14 days, then they formed a pair and they are in isolation together, only coming together in the studio, distanced.

EastEnders (soap opera) is filming again. They are using screening (some scenes have perspex screens placed where the camera won't pick them up), distancing and, in some scenes where characters need to be physically close, members of the cast's families as body doubles.

Panel shows are filming, with a mixture of screening or, in the case of "A Question of Sport" extremely long desks where the team members are sitting 2m apart. Audiences are either very small invited family members, or crew.

This has been very informative, it has been a long week otherwise I would have responded earlier.

I will mention for me personally this is something that'll happen in 12-18 months, as I am still in school, but I'd rather gain an understanding of it now, so I'm prepared in a year when I start looking for jobs out of school.

Additionally, I am definitely not looking to do Theatre and Film/TV at the same time, rather keep both options open, and not feel like I need to stay on one side throughout my career.

Thanks for the list of cities and the mention of the IATSE Studio Mechanic locals, I will look into that further, and I will check out those facebook groups.

It makes total sense that film/TV is bouncing back prior to theatre, simply due to the audiences, on a set you have a lot more control over everyone there. Although I would argue big events won't be able to be held "regionally" for the most part, since most conventions ect draw crowds from more than their local area.

I do hope that by the time I graduate things start being back to normal, which will help immensely.

Thanks!

I advise undergrads to start figuring out their exit strategy at the start of year 3. Gives you a lot of time to figure out how you want to proceed.

A helpful resource you should read is Michael Stricklands blog on Live design. He is the owner of Bandit Lights in Knoxville Tennessee. His blog has been constantly been updated since the pandemic began. He has pretty much taken the lead to share with our industry information about what is realistically going on with the state of business and with legislation. this is even more important because he has been in constant contact with elected officials. When everything is said and done I need to send him a muffin basket, otherwise we really wouldn’t have much info about what is actually going in in regard to our industry.

Give it a look!

The few film/TV gigs I had 20+ years ago came from friends who knew people looking for PA's. Then I would show up day of and wind up being a carp or grip. Strictly small stuff back in the days before you could do a search on the Google machine. So yeah, be sure to let your friends and acquaintances know you're looking. "Who you know" is still a thing.

My first TV gig ever was shooting with Harry Blackstone Jr for a show called "Masters of Illusion", and it was him and us- a crew of 6- watching him do sleight of hand all day.

I'm late to the party on this thread and not to stride into the room like an old so and so but.... I got my BFA in Theater Design and Technology emphasizing in Lighting Design and dabbling in sound design.... My MFA in Production Design and Technology specializing in Lighting and Sound Design and after swimming in lots of ponds over the years I've "settled" into a position as Senior Engineer in a Broadcast and Film Department.... so..... given my experience you're on the right track.

Shake the hands errrrm bump the elbows, speak with reverence for those before you, next to you and after you and you'll do fine. As others have said there's a lot to be said about who you know, but I've come to learn that who I know trusts not only who I am, but what I know, that's what makes the phone ring.

I'm late to the party on this thread and not to stride into the room like an old so and so but.... I got my BFA in Theater Design and Technology emphasizing in Lighting Design and dabbling in sound design.... My MFA in Production Design and Technology specializing in Lighting and Sound Design and after swimming in lots of ponds over the years I've "settled" into a position as Senior Engineer in a Broadcast and Film Department.... so..... given my experience you're on the right track.

Shake the hands errrrm bump the elbows, speak with reverence for those before you, next to you and after you and you'll do fine. As others have said there's a lot to be said about who you know, but I've come to learn that who I know trusts not only who I am, but what I know, that's what makes the phone ring.
You might mention grovelling; 'nough said.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back