Career Advice Finding my way

I decided to post here because while I am not a regular poster by any means, I have benefited from reading many threads on this site over the past 7 years or so.

In May I will be graduating with a BS in Entertainment Production. I have worked on various plays and musicals for the past 3 years at my university and 4 years before that in high school. Mostly lighting shows but also building some smaller sets and doing some theatrical sound. I have also "busked" the lighting for small concerts the university hosts.

My focus has been on lighting but I have found that I gravitate more towards the electrical/power distribution/rigging side of things than the design side. I have developed a fascination of sorts over learning about electrical and rigging best practices/codes, limitations of different components, etc. and have been lucky to have had some great mentors to help with that.

So after all that explanation, my question is what part of the industry should I look to for careers/jobs? I am currently located in Maine but am willing to consider just about anything that won't leave me homeless :shifty:

One of the venues I work at hosts a lot of Broadway tours, and after working with them I have thought I might enjoy being an electrician/carpenter on a tour. One of my goals this year is to work harder to quit being shy and network with the touring crews.

Thank you in advance for your time!

I decided to post here because while I am not a regular poster by any means, I have benefited from reading many threads on this site over the past 7 years or so.

In May I will be graduating with a BS in Entertainment Production. I have worked on various plays and musicals for the past 3 years at my university and 4 years before that in high school. Mostly lighting shows but also building some smaller sets and doing some theatrical sound. I have also "busked" the lighting for small concerts the university hosts.

My focus has been on lighting but I have found that I gravitate more towards the electrical/power distribution/rigging side of things than the design side. I have developed a fascination of sorts over learning about electrical and rigging best practices/codes, limitations of different components, etc. and have been lucky to have had some great mentors to help with that.

So after all that explanation, my question is what part of the industry should I look to for careers/jobs? I am currently located in Maine but am willing to consider just about anything that won't leave me homeless :shifty:

One of the venues I work at hosts a lot of Broadway tours, and after working with them I have thought I might enjoy being an electrician/carpenter on a tour. One of my goals this year is to work harder to quit being shy and network with the touring crews.

Thank you in advance for your time!
@backstagebadger Eric; possibly you might consider devoting approximately 5 years to an IBEW (International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers) apprenticeship in installation and maintenance, writing an exam and acquiring a licence. (I'm in Canada thus my license was provincial. I suspect your testing and licencing may be handled by your state) Next you could write and acquire a Master Electrician's license or you could continue to earn a living as a journeyman electrician then possibly branch out into entertainment or broadcast from there. Your local IBEW office should be willing to point you in the right direction if you're at all interested.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard. [Long retired from IBEW 105 and IATSE 129 & 357]

It’s all about networking. You can’t lead if you can’t talk.

The union will work you hard if you get in. Talk to as many people as you can. Listen and do.

It’s a cut throat industry but once you are in it’s a smooth ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back