Fire escape

BSchend

So for an upcoming production of In The Heights there need to be several fire escapes on the buildings.

I'm trying to figure out how to construct the landings so that they are sturdy, weight bearing, but don't look like a platform painted black. Of all the stage versions of fire escapes made out of wood, they have all been fairly bulky and completely solid. The solid decking tends to cast shadows as well as eliminate the visual open feel of real fire escapes thus making it feel far less realistic.

If I had access to a welder I would do that, but sadly I don't. I've thought about finding a way to inlay metal grating in a frame, but seems to be too expensive though I'm not sure since websites for that stuff aren't exactly user friendly to novice purchasers.

Any thoughts on what could be used for framing and decking that would be strong enough, but possibly still impart that metal "grate" feel? I plan on doing a full frame that is cantilevered for the 2.5x6 foot visible landing.

Thanks in advance.

I would contact some of the metal supply shops in your area for pricing. Buying steel is something that should be bought local unless your buying it by the truck load.

The fire escape landings on my set were platforms that served as the ceilings of the bottom level and the base of the second floor. They really were not seen by the audience at all due to the signage, so using platforms worked. My railings were also wood, I ripped the wood myself from hardwood. I made from 1x4 boxes, with 1x2 inset to receive the 1x1 rails. They were fairly structural by themselves, but when you create a box that ties to the deck and structure behind it, it was very strong, and yet looked light.
here are some pics:
IMG_1690.jpg IMG_0835.jpg In The Heights 2 (1).jpg In The Heights Railing.jpg

I recently closed a production of In The Heights and while I wasn't involved in set design/construction, it was done pretty much the same way that @SHCP describes, and it worked out well for us, too. I was the lighting designer and paid special care to have dedicated specials on the balcony rail for shooting under the platforms. I also had some vintage porcelain enamel barn/gas station lights in the shops which helped a little with realism as well as eliminating any stubborn shadows.

My only fear with using metal laid in a wood frame is that anything strong enough is also going to be very heavy. When you add the weight of actors, you'll need to support it way beyond what is normally done for multilevel platforms.

@SHCP while those pictures look great, I guess it's about the vision you see. For me those feel more "balcony" than fire escape. Fully functional, but just not really the same feel. I do like how your railings turned out though.

I'm wondering if 5/4x6 used for the main frame members combined with 5/4x6 ripped down to 5/4x4 used as the "joists" spaced fairly close together (6" on center maybe) would give enough support, but allow for that open feel? If there is too much gap I could always cross 2 of the joists with 1/2 ply leaving a slight gap. I may just have to build a prototype and see how sturdy it is.

I think your issue is that fire escape landings are small, like 3x3, and you want one that's 2.5x6. That size may be well and good for functionality, but depending on the size of the wall its mounted to, it could end up looking like a balcony. If your flats are 8' wide and the landing is 6', its gonna look like a balcony...

I think your issue is that fire escape landings are small, like 3x3, and you want one that's 2.5x6. That size may be well and good for functionality, but depending on the size of the wall its mounted to, it could end up looking like a balcony. If your flats are 8' wide and the landing is 6', its gonna look like a balcony...

Every multi level fire escape I've ever seen has been at least 6-8 feet wide. Yes the physical landing space is small, but the frame still extends further for the stairs and the switch back. The balcony feel I mention comes from the solid frame and decking (like a platform), than the openess of a fire escape. Maybe that's not possible, but my question was just whether someone might have an easy idea as an alternate to welding.

Will I have to deal with it looking like a balcony/platform as opposed to a fire escape, maybe. That will have to be a concession I make if I can't come up with a solution.

You might want to investigate "pull-truded fibreglass grating". You can frame it with 2x4 Or whatever, but will maintain that grating look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back