Fire Retardant Potpourri...

Fire retardant on costumes has been done, especially if there is going to be an open flame near the costume. Now, one thing you want to be aware of is to give the costumers enough lead time if they need to be fire proofed due to the excess work they have to put into it. I have worked on shows where the note that live flame was going to be used came in late and the costume designer was non too happy.

One other important fire risk is wigs, I have seen one catch fire, no injuries but a close call.

Have you ever had a fire drill in a theater or a work space? Like at school where everyone files out, waits down the block and the principal gives a lecture about being more organized and faster next time.

Only time I've heard of that happening is when the alarm has malfunctioned.

Supposedly they had a primary school in there too... must have been fun. :)

I've never heard of a fire drill in a theater. However, the theater staff (and students if it's educational theater) should have a well planned and possibly practiced evacuation policy. What would I do if there was a fire is an important question you should alway consider every time you work in a new theater.

I like the post earlier about sneaking up on your tech crew and telling them to close their eyes and tell you where the two closest fire extinguishers are. That's a great exercise and I'm going to steal it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back