First Aid kits

Also, if you work in the education world you should discuss this with your school medical staff. So that your kit fits into the overall campus emergency plans and so that your medical staff knows what's in your kit and where to find it.

Ok, it's been a day or two or 45, and so here is the pictorial version of that inventory I promised.

I may get back to it to itemize in text, or not...

2022-11-13 16.59.53.jpg

Front drop, compartment 2; this usually also contains an IR forehead thermometer, but it was in my bedroom at the time.

2022-11-13 17.08.46.jpg

The main top compartment has 4 slices, a wide one across the back, 1A contains bandaids and related stuff. Apologies; Xen apparently ignores camera orientation, and also appears not to provide manual controls for editing...

2022-11-13 17.12.36.jpg

Front left is 1B; cold packs (and I have heat packs to go in there), plus Curad spray bandage, which I like better, it turns out than...

2022-11-13 17.16.57.jpg

Center is 1C; assorted OTC... including NuSkin, which oversprays even more, doesn't set as fast, and flakes off when it does. Where possible I've chosen either non-contact or individually-packed items, except where that ran the cost up unreasonable; sometimes, that multiplier is *six* to one or even higher.
2022-11-13 17.24.13.jpg
Right is 1D; gloves and some cohesive bandages. Gloves are an example of the price multiplier which I remember: 10 pair in sterile envelopes cost about 4 times as much as 25 pair in a bulk box, like these.

2022-11-13 17.25.33.jpg

Compartment 4; cough drops and Sucrets.

2022-11-13 17.29.16.jpg

This should be 3, unless I've screwed up. :) Half a dozen magic mylar blankets (cause they're disposable), a couple prism paks of temp-stable Instant Breakfast. And a few gallon freezer slider ziplocs, for utility, including disposing of medical waste -- which means anyone's bodily fluids that aren't *yours*.

2022-11-13 17.31.43.jpg

In compartment 6 (yeah, I don't know how we got here either, and the actual bag's in the car and I don't have the energy to go haul it inside right now...) lots of rolls of gauze.

Items I am still contemplating include folding splints, tourniquets, and an airway set. Not sure they carry enough utility for their potential risk, as discussed above. Plus, I personally am not trained in using any of them -- that doesn't make them useless to pack, but...

Ok, it's been a day or two or 45, and so here is the pictorial version of that inventory I promised.

I may get back to it to itemize in text, or not...

View attachment 23698
Front drop, compartment 2; this usually also contains an IR forehead thermometer, but it was in my bedroom at the time.

View attachment 23699
The main top compartment has 4 slices, a wide one across the back, 1A contains bandaids and related stuff. Apologies; Xen apparently ignores camera orientation, and also appears not to provide manual controls for editing...

View attachment 23700
Front left is 1B; cold packs (and I have heat packs to go in there), plus Curad spray bandage, which I like better, it turns out than...

View attachment 23701
Center is 1C; assorted OTC... including NuSkin, which oversprays even more, doesn't set as fast, and flakes off when it does. Where possible I've chosen either non-contact or individually-packed items, except where that ran the cost up unreasonable; sometimes, that multiplier is *six* to one or even higher.View attachment 23702Right is 1D; gloves and some cohesive bandages. Gloves are an example of the price multiplier which I remember: 10 pair in sterile envelopes cost about 4 times as much as 25 pair in a bulk box, like these.

View attachment 23703
Compartment 4; cough drops and Sucrets.

View attachment 23704
This should be 3, unless I've screwed up. :) Half a dozen magic mylar blankets (cause they're disposable), a couple prism paks of temp-stable Instant Breakfast. And a few gallon freezer slider ziplocs, for utility, including disposing of medical waste -- which means anyone's bodily fluids that aren't *yours*.

View attachment 23705
In compartment 6 (yeah, I don't know how we got here either, and the actual bag's in the car and I don't have the energy to go haul it inside right now...) lots of rolls of gauze.

Items I am still contemplating include folding splints, tourniquets, and an airway set. Not sure they carry enough utility for their potential risk, as discussed above. Plus, I personally am not trained in using any of them -- that doesn't make them useless to pack, but...
Jay - the kit looks great and should cover anything but the really big stuff. If you add a tourniquet and pressure dressing to it (part of the STB kit) it will help with that. I would forget the airway kit (very limited use) but add a pocket mask for your protection. Hopefully you won't need to use any of it!

Jay - the kit looks great and should cover anything but the really big stuff. If you add a tourniquet and pressure dressing to it (part of the STB kit) it will help with that. I would forget the airway kit (very limited use) but add a pocket mask for your protection. Hopefully you won't need to use any of it!
There are half a dozen KN94s in a bag in there somewhere; I dunno why they didn't show up here...

And there are 2 or 3 sealed 4 oz bottles of eyewash (among other things) that didn't get listed here, so clearly I missed a pic, probably 1D.

Last edited:
You need to enclose the Regulatory disclaimer card... "This is the Jay Ashworth personal first aid kit. All items contained within are for my personal use and protection only. Feel free to use any of the contents to save my life and my life exclusively. Use for any other patient human or animal is not encouraged, nor condoned by me (Jay Ashworth) and would be considered theft at best."

"So your honor.. I had my personal kit along.. and what was I to do? let the victim suffer and die?"

When Jad mentions a 'Pocket Mask', he might be talking about something like this, not a KN95. Intended so you can do CPR without kissing strangers.

Possibly.

That said, I've been told that two-component CPR is denigrated these days; compressions only is the current recommendation (assuming you aren't an EMT...)
Reasons for the best efficacy of chest compression-only CPR include a better willingness to start CPR by bystanders, the low quality of mouth-to-mouth ventilation and a detrimental effect of too long interruptions of chest compressions during ventilation. Based on our findings, compression-only CPR should be recommended as the preferred CPR technique performed by untrained bystander.

from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar...cacy,of chest compressions during ventilation.

Reasons for the best efficacy of chest compression-only CPR include a better willingness to start CPR by bystanders, the low quality of mouth-to-mouth ventilation and a detrimental effect of too long interruptions of chest compressions during ventilation. Based on our findings, compression-only CPR should be recommended as the preferred CPR technique performed by untrained bystander.

from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3484593/#:~:text=Reasons for the best efficacy,of chest compressions during ventilation.
So in short, the Assumption I made in my last clause is pretty close to accurate: compression only CPR is better up at 40,000 ft, where there's likely to be more of it, but two component CPR is actually still better, *assuming it's being done properly*.

I just purchased this book from Lost Art Press and would highly recommend it. Jeffrey Hill (the author) is an ER physician and woodworker, and it's specifically focused on first aid for workshop accidents. The book has a list of recommended supplies as well as instructions to deal with a wide variety of injuries (cuts, punctures, amputations, etc.) It's also small enough to easily fit in a first aid kit and is sold by a small independent publisher and bound in the US.

I just purchased this book from Lost Art Press and would highly recommend it. Jeffrey Hill (the author) is an ER physician and woodworker, and it's specifically focused on first aid for workshop accidents. The book has a list of recommended supplies as well as instructions to deal with a wide variety of injuries (cuts, punctures, amputations, etc.) It's also small enough to easily fit in a first aid kit and is sold by a small independent publisher and bound in the US.
I have—it is in the top lid and I forgot to photograph it—a little general first aid kit that folds out from something the size of a business card. I'll look at this one too, thanks.

Naloxone is available over the counter now.
And in a number of places there are social organizations offering training and supplies. Some community engagement might be beneficial.

On this site of the Atlantic Naxolone is certainly not available over the counter. At least here in the Netherlands, I presume the same goes for (most of) Europe. As a fully trained first aider I am not allowed to administer it. Nor are first aiders with a specialization for festivals. They have an extended knowledge of drugs, it's symptoms and treatments, but the use of Naxolone is prohibited to medical staff.
Epipens are also not available for first aid kits. However, when needed I am allowed to set the pen. This is, if the victim has it with him. Same goes for administering insuline.
And the European Resuscitation Council is clear about CPR: use the two components unless there are good reasons not to breathe someone. par example when your own safety is in danger, or even when you have any doubts about it. And it was during the Corona pandemic.
Sidenote: about every second CPR-training I hear stories about CPR with only compression. The first years the story was it would be the future because scientific research in the States stated it better. Now we are told, indeed, compression and breathing is the way to go. With the remark that "you in the US" are told just do compressions, this out of fear for claims for indecent behavior.
It appears we still got more differences beside the use of metric or nonsensical 😉 units .

Epi pens are a serious prescription drug with significant potential side effects. You should only give one to a person who is carrying it for themself. Giving one to a person who has not been diagnosed and prescribed one of their own could be very dangerous.

Noxalone is not only available over the counter in the US, many cities and states are now giving it away for free. Mrs. Gaff, RN has made sure we have it in our cars.

AED's were mentioned above and in another CB post it was mentioned that sometimes the "cry once, buy once" tecnique comes into play. The AED and it's wallmount housing is installed..........and there is no scheduled maintainance. So when it is really needed the battery could be defective or the charger is dead.

AED's were mentioned above and in another CB post it was mentioned that sometimes the "cry once, buy once" tecnique comes into play. The AED and it's wallmount housing is installed..........and there is no scheduled maintainance. So when it is really needed the battery could be defective or the charger is dead.
An excellent point; I'll have to start checking them where I work, to see if they're staying on top of that.

I wonder if, like elevator licenses, they have any date-display requirements.

For AED's scheduled maintenance is advised. A regularly check, at least once a year, is mandatory. The check must at least include the status of the battery and the pads. Both have an expiration date. As far as I know will most AED's give a sign if the battery has to be replaced. Our former AED made regular measurements for checking. The current one has a chip with the expiration date. I both cases they will still operate when the need is there, so you have some time to get replacements.
However, it's recommended to change the accu before the expiration date.

An excellent point; I'll have to start checking them where I work, to see if they're staying on top of that.

I wonder if, like elevator licenses, they have any date-display requirements.
Not sure if there is a code requirement but the manual for my AED at work described everything to do during the inspection, how often to inspect, and directed you to sign an included tag after inspections. So while you probably won't go to jail for skipping it, you could potentially find yourself found legally negligent and lose a lot of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back