First Overhire Call

0CCCFD4C-DCC6-4635-90FC-D41BAD9DA818.jpeg The hammer is for this style of scaffold.

Call the Local and ask the office folks who you can direct your questions to.
There will probably be paperwork to fill out, so get there 30 minutes early. Remember: early is on time. On time is late.
If you don't know what or how to do something- say so. Most of us would rather teach you quickly than have you do something wrong or dangerous.
Being new sucks. So, check your ego and be a new guy. That doesn't mean anybody has the right to verbally abuse you though.

We've all been there. Be sure to let us know how it goes.
Welcome to the Union.

Call the Local and ask the office folks who you can direct your questions to.
There will probably be paperwork to fill out, so get there 30 minutes early. Remember: early is on time. On time is late.
If you don't know what or how to do something- say so. Most of us would rather teach you quickly than have you do something wrong or dangerous.
Being new sucks. So, check your ego and be a new guy. That doesn't mean anybody has the right to verbally abuse you though.

We've all been there. Be sure to let us know how it goes.
Welcome to the Union.

Biggest thing... bring your ID and SS card with you. Better yet, have a color copy ready to go with both your SS card and drivers license on it. You would not believe the number of people who show up to work when I get guys from our union who can't produce either of these pieces of paper. Without them, I can't pay you!!!!

Biggest thing... bring your ID and SS card with you. Better yet, have a color copy ready to go with both your SS card and drivers license on it. You would not believe the number of people who show up to work when I get guys from our union who can't produce either of these pieces of paper. Without them, I can't pay you!!!!

Yeah, if you come to work for us you also need a copy of your high school diploma as well as a copy of your fingerprints. Civil Service for the 1st, working a a public school for the 2nd.

Makes me not miss my freelance days. Walking around with all my documents in my backpack 24/7

As an IATSE member, former Local officer, and a steward... oops, you already cleared it up with your Local...

My Local requires hard hat conforming to ANSI Z89.1-2009 Type I Class E, to be worn when work is done overhead or when required by the tour, venue, or when the Steward determines hard hats are needed. Truck loaders are required to wear steel toe shoes/boots (or composite toe meeting the same standard). All hands except truck loaders are required to bring an 8" adjustable wrench; and a flashlight, multi tool, gloves and eye protection are strongly recommended. The tour, show or producer are expected to provide any specialty tools or additional tools unless prior notice has been given to the Local.

I wear show blacks to the load in if I'm on the running crew, and I carry a spare black T shirt in my backpack. When I'm not on the running crew I usually wear full length pants because I'd rather rip the fabric than my skin (spilled blood requires a HazMat response and injury report and possible drug/alcohol test).

The advice you've been given about showing up early to complete paperwork, having proof of permission to work (SS card, Green Card, etc), and state or federal government issued ID (DL, state ID card, passport) is spot on.

If you are unsure about an instruction or task, ask the tour person you're working with to clarify or demonstrate. As much as I love my brothers and sisters they are NOT the definitive source of info in a touring show setup.

Come with a good attitude, your PPE and tools and you shouldn't have problems.

Also remember that *danger* lurks 360 degrees in our work. Overhead, to your sides, beneath you. Situational awareness is crucial to going home without injuries to yourself or others.

In Union,

Tim Mc, IATSE Local 190

Users who are viewing this thread

Back