First pro console choice

I've used the Zero88 FLX (briefly) and I have to say it's the first Z88 console that I "get". It's a much more up to date design than the old Frogs and even the Orb (same ZerOS as the Orb I think). I had a look at the Chimp at Plasa (although I was really more interested in their tie up with Robert-Juliat on the lighting front) and it looks interesting, being continuously in-field updatable like the ETC boards by the end user. Whether they intend to increase the universe count I don't know. I suspect they're going after the same market sector as Zero88 FLX series. It certainly appears to be priced in roughly that sector. Personally I'm a ETC user in a theatre environment (having started on a Strand 300) so I can't really add much outside that sphere - I occasionally do some really simple busking on a low key jazz festival on the Ion but nothing "flash and trash".

I like that these days most consoles can have the software run on a PC so you can get a feel for it away from a desk. I run the EOS software at home to experiment with effects, magic sheets, macros and so on when I'm not in the theatre.

ETC's 10,000 cue limit and Chamsys' 5,000 limits keep them from being serious contenders.
Really? Have you ever come up against that? Nobody would really unless they are running a massive show for someone like Beyonce where there could be a few thousand cues running to timecode, In which case they will be using a GMA2 anyway. And this is of no relevance to the OP.
Anyway, forget the Dot2 as it was gimped and expensive to start with and is now discontinued.
The ChamSys MQ70 looks very nice. I have not seen one yet but used the MQ80 which is a bit larger. MagicQ is excellent software but could do with a design refresh.
If you have a 70 then I'd say you would also need an extra screen.
Avolites Quartz - also the screen is just too small, but its a great little desk. How about Tiger Touch II. Bit larger with better screen and extra playbacks.
Hog - I think that both Avolites and ChamSys are better consoles - at this time.
I do reckon though that now ETC own them we will see some interesting developments within a year or so.

I was pointing out that some consoles had artificial limits, like cue limits, but those would only affect some extreme use cases, and as you pointed out they would probably just use MA anyway. My point was that even though some consoles have artificial limits, the 300 fixture limit of the Chimp-whatever-it seemed unacceptable in any use case. I feel the same about the 40 and 80 "Channel" limit on the Colorsource line. It makes all these consoles a non-starter.

I'd look hard at the distributor and dealers of Zero88 in your area. They are basically unsupported in the US.(or at least that was the case when I decided to never use or touch a Zero88 product again) I cannot remember the last distributor I had to deal with to get parts, service info, etc but they literally knew NOTHING about the products that they supposedly supported.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back