First Sound Effect

sounds more like a phone ringing, i'd make it deeper, and slower.

I agree. Definitely slow it down a bit, and drop the pitch a tad as well.

Funny, I did this before reading the replies ... see if you like this better. It look me less than a minute to modify your original in Goldwave ...

Last edited:
MP3 is a universal format. what format do you want? lol

Sorry ... the file attachment tool wouldn't recognize .mp3 files but I saw that it handles .zip files so I just dropped it into a compressed (zip) folder on my PC and loaded it up.

All I did was:
1) Use doppler to slow down the pitch and speed, maybe 20% or so ... I tried out a few levels before deciding that tone sounded best.
2) I cut and pasted the middle few sec a few times to stretch out the bell
3) The tail of the sound seemed to cut off a bit short, so I used "time warp" on the last 1 sec and doubled the length without changing pitch.

If this seems like a lot, it's not. Sure, when I first bought Goldwave the first couple dozen clips I edited were stressful as I learned how to use the tool and what the different effects sound like, but once you know where things are and know what your edits will do to the sound, the process speeds up considerably.

Goldwave is a great little wave file editor -- for $45 it has been one of my best investments :)

And it's great to edit real-time on the PC at the theater ... I can pipe the sound out through the speakers and work on the audio clip with the director in the room listening through the PA -- that way you know exactly what it will sound like during the production :) You can also do fun stuff like throw on echo, mechanize, pitch bend, or even reverse it if you're looking for that "Twin Peaks" effect ;)

Thanks this really helped me learn more about sound i took my file and did the exact things you did and it sounds great also goldwave is an amazing program i think i will invest in it this actually started out as an old phone ring that i recorded in a closet

As you look to sound editing programs - I'm sure Goldwave is good, but do not overlook Audacity which is free. audacity.sourceforge.net
I've used it a lot and don't be afraid of the beta, it has worked fine.

Unfortunately, Audacity doesn't work in Vista... Yet!

Audacity 'edited' me to an award for my sound-scape work on Christmas Carol this year

:)

I downloaded and tried to use Audacity when I was evaluating programs ... liked what it was trying to do but it seemed to be harder to use for my purposes. I can't remember exactly what ... maybe file splitting (for cutting a recording into tracks to drop on CD) or supported file formats. I haven't tried it in six months, so I recommend you definitely take a look at it before purchasing something else. But Goldwave was the other reigning "cheapware" that I ended up with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back