Design First Step Beyond Stan McCan...

Excellent post bbess!!! thanks. Didn't read it before posting my own thoughts but you did so much more artistically in bringing it back to design over mechanics much better than anyone else so far. First design the puppy, than figure out how it's lit and with what.

Hi! this is long, sorry ....
Seems to be plenty of good technical advice so far. I would like to suggest a different approach, you seem to have access to some good toys, and a good general knowlege, so forget about lighting the "stage" for a minute and let's design. Go for a ride on a real subway. Bring a digital camera, or a notepad or both. Bring the director! Any good design starts with a little research and can be fun too. I live in NYC so I've had lots of opportunities to ride the Subway.

How is the car lit? I've seen old style incandescant tube lights with fresnel like fluted covers, they were warm and sickly yellow, and shadowy. The current crop of nyc standards has a very green fluorescent, it shows the dirt and the scars and the blemishes of the cars and the people who ride. Newer cars have an icy blue tint to the indirect, high efficiency fluorescent. LED signage and message marquees are on display. there is always lots of flickering, strobing, chases and the light is changing all the time. When going from one power source to another, sometimes the light drops to only a bare minimum, sometimes emergencies come on. Stations and work lights flash by - each one a little different, sometimes the tunnels are all cobalt blue, sometimes yellow, red, sometimes the sunlight comes blasting through from some where above Sometime you see leaf patterns or grille patterns. Going across a bridge at sunset or early morning is like a 70's rock concert!

So what does your base subway car look like for this production of Godspell?? Why did the director choose a subway car? Where's it going? Where along the ride are the important stops? Who gets on or off? Does it always go in one direction? Is the audience "in the car"? Is Jesus crucified at the end or does he hit the third rail? Oooh Sparks! Is John the Baptist a squeegee man?
The play itself is wide open to creative thought, so you can have a field day with the lights. Anyway, my point is pretty clear, sorry about the length. Open your eyes and mind, study some real light (really look at it) and then figure out how your car is lit in the reality of the play and use your tools to build those looks.
Once you know why you're lighting something a certain way, how you do it is only a distribution on equipment. Forget lighting methods for a while, beyond a certain visibility, you have hundreds of ways to create mood. Any angle, color intensity, is valid if you know the "why". Don't put up a "texture wash" unless it's "the light coming through the forth wall windows in a particular station, don't have a "yellow wash" unless there's track work being done. Go through this process to get to your design. Then pull out all your design weapons and help sell this play. You'll be brilliant! :grin::!:

Ah but in Godspell is it really Jesus or.. ?Stephen? believe the name from years back in high shool (don't ask how many years) was it perhaps someone else? Not important oveall but in a minor essense sense helped by lighting, that does become an important design consideration in what is theater verses great theater.

The director is putting a 911 spin on Godspell. The subway car is moving only at the beginning, actually before the prologue. It will make 3 stops, people get on and off, and we are working on some ideas such as tunnel and station lighting, changing signs, etc. After leaving the third stop, power is lost, and the car stops, and the chaos of 911 ensues. There is a depiction of the Twin towers falling, and then Jesus enters the car as a NYFD fireman... then off to the prologue and the rest of the story, more by the book. He would like some smoke for this entrance; any way to do this just with light??

We discussed, but the director does not want realistic fluorescent, etc. car lighting. So for the bulk of the show, the car is stopped, in the middle of a tunnel, and I am struggling a bit to determine what should really be driving the lighting at this point. But I have yet to see a good run thru rehearsal yet, so hopefully something will shake loose here soon...

Thanks, again to all, for your ideas and suggestions.

We discussed, but the director does not want realistic fluorescent, etc. car lighting.

Yet Jesus is a Firefighter... what's more realistic than that?

You can start with a "somewhat realistic" look and get Very Weird after that. But why have a subway car if you deny that you are in a subway car? Start with it and add.

OK - what the director is thinking is "OMG this LD wants to do boring flat cold lighting on my beautiful stunning award winning adaptation of this play" That's because that's how he sees the light in a subway car! Not how I see it. Nor should you. Its just a start.

I know the show - I've not lit it - but I acted in it for many, many performances a loooong time ago. In the beginning there is chaos no one agrees with each other. Everyone is fighting. Then throughout the show the cast and audience develop into a warm, caring loving family, which is why the crucifixion and death scene at the end is so powerful. A cold impersonal (yet dramatic) environment is a perfect place to start.

Anyway once the train stops you have alot of choice. Maybe the lights stay on because of battery backup, maybe the backup lights are dimmer, maybe they die sporadically, maybe there are people in tunnels wwith lanterns showing people out.

Here are some pics from google images to get you started -

Attachments

• sub1.jpg
    sub1.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 124
  • sub 2.jpg
    sub 2.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 141
  • tunnel1.jpg
    tunnel1.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 134
  • tunnel2.jpg