Fixing Multi-cable

Thanks, Grog. I've dug a hole lot a wholes, but nobody ever offered me that bit o' wisdom.;)
Thanks, Grog. I've dug a whole lot of holes...

Where's the champagne?

Thanks, Grog. I've dug a whole lot of holes...

Where's the champagne?
Its [sic] not coming.
It's [sic] label fell off.

I hypothesized I should need to express the phrase in colloquy to which you can relate.:lol:

Help me out here, lieperjp. We'll force grog and gafftaper to "talk good English" [sic] yet.

Its [sic] not coming.
I hypothesized I should need to express the phrase in colloquy to which you can relate.:lol:
Help me out here, lieperjp. We'll force grog and gafftaper to "talk good English" [sic] yet.
Excuses are like butt holes Derek...we all have one and they all stink. ;)

Its [sic] not coming.

Um... I would have to say that they've got you here, Derek! And I hope you meant colloquialism instead of colloquy - They're slightly different things! sorry! ... I wonder if anyone else knows why

"talk good English"

was in quotation marks? Or are we the only ones?

Last edited:
I believe Sec. 520-68, "Conductors for Portables" is applicable.

Anyone got what exact text is pertinant? I've read it over several times and I can't find much about multi-conductors other than on the construction of breakouts.

Excuses are like butt holes Derek...we all have one and they all stink. ;)
You just HAD to go there, didn't you?

Um... I would have to say that they've got you here. Ambiguous pronoun usage! Me (Derek), or Grog? And I hope you meant colloquialism instead of colloquy - Of course I did; but whom, besides you, would notice? They're slightly different things! sorry! ... I wonder if anyone else knows why?...Or are we the only ones?
So nice to, finally, have [split infinitive intentional] a member of comrades-in-arm.

So nice to, finally, have [split infinitive intentional] a member of comrades-in-arm.

Well, technically I meant the quote and the following fragment to be the concluding portion of the question, however the point was taken (by both sides) nevertheless. Sorry for apparently leaving out a question mark!:shhh:

What happened to the poor unsafe, disaster multicable and its end users while you guys were showing off? I'll send you all a free copy of "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves" if we can get back to the topic.
I hope nobody gets hurt by that cable. We'll send them you language mavens, if that happens.
:)
ST

Last edited:
What happened to the poor unsafe, disaster multicable and its end users while you guys were showing off? I'll send you all a free copy of "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves" if we can get back to the topic.
I hope nobody gets hurt by that cable. We'll send them you language mavens, if that happens.
:)
ST

If you want unsafe multi-cable I'll show you a picture of what we have in my space when I get to work tommorow.

It will make you cry.

Anyone got what exact text is pertinant? I've read it over several times and I can't find much about multi-conductors other than on the construction of breakouts.

The pertinent wording is the requirement for listed, extra hard usage cables.

Editorial from ST:

A. Without their jacket stripped back to expose the inner conductors, like your rig.

B. See table 400.5 for cable types that are extra hard usage.

ST

If you want unsafe multi-cable I'll show you a picture of what we have in my space when I get to work tommorow.
It will make you cry.

I'll be glad to look at it.

However, I don't think we're in a contest to see who can be least Code-compliant.

We all need to be working on fixing this stuff or getting rid of it.
ST

I agree with you Steve...if only I had the authority I'd throw every piece I have away.

But I don't.

I agree with you Steve...if only I had the authority I'd throw every piece I have away.

But I don't.

I would fix it to code or throw it away and replace it but we just don't have the money to do either. I don't even think I have the authority to take it out of service. I'm done after this summer(the down season) and even if I take it out of service, It'd be back in use just as soon as September rolls around.

Thank you for getting us back on track, STEVETERRY. I apologize for the grammatical diversion/detour/hi-jack.

Dustincoc, if all the non-code compliant multi disappeared tomorrow, as in sold for the scrap copper, would your venue have enough 12/3 SO (OW) to make single runs/hods? The decision isn't really yours to make, although you can vehemently suggest/demand, but really it's up to the venue owner and his/her insurance carrier. I don't see an inexpensive way of making your existing cable code-compliant, but that's no excuse for foregoing safety. Sixteen conductor cable sounds odd, so perhaps even the multi-cable itself does not meet the current code.

I, and ControlBooth, would never advise someone to purposefully do something to violate the NEC, unless no other alternative could be found, and even then, would use every precaution available. Take a lesson from ship.

I, and ControlBooth, would never advise someone to purposefully do something to violate the NEC, unless no other alternative could be found, and even then, would use every precaution available.

THE FOLLOWING IS NOT AN ACCEPTABLE SOLUTION TO ANYTHING.

proxy.php

Hey I got lots of cable like that :D. Just its nicely strain relieved and heavily shrink wrapped.

I have a few questions about what are up to code?
Here is the first pic, The initial tie in
proxy.php

The very well color coded step down transformer bank
proxy.php

You dont really need soco either
proxy.php

Then there is dimmer beach
proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Then the fancy way to add dimmers when you have run out of cables
proxy.php

Of course you are supposed to have a properly sized breaker
proxy.php

Hey Look the thing actually works
proxy.php

Now for the disclamer, I AM NOT SUGGESTING ANY OF THESE PRACTICES. ALL ELECTRICAL WIRING SHOULD BE DONE IN ACCORDANCE TO THE NEC and NFPA.

Last edited:
I, and ControlBooth, would never advise someone to purposefully do something to violate the NEC, unless no other alternative could be found, and even then, would use every precaution available.

THE FOLLOWING IS NOT AN ACCEPTABLE SOLUTION TO ANYTHING.

proxy.php

That looks about likw what we have, except the wires are wrapped in Electric tape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back