Vintage Lighting Fixing Up Old Mole Richardson 10K

Mageejm

Hey all, I don't know how many of the forum members deal with film lighting, but I figured I'd try and find some help here.

I'm currently reconditioning an old Mole-Richardson 10k tener. I've removed the yolk and and lens casing and I have the barrel up on the work bench. The reflector f/s mechanism and electrics were previously removed because of a prior issue. I went over one panel with a scouring pad and some liquid strip and it seemed to work, but it took me an hour and a half just to remove paint on the areas that were easily accessible. I went over some other areas with a dremal tool but that seemed to gouge the metal pretty badly. I also tried an ellipsoidal sander and that didn't do anything.

If anyone has experience with this or any suggestions what so ever it will be greatly appreciated.

Don't quite follow your question. Are you trying to prep the exterior for a new coat of Mole maroon or are you trying to prep the interior baffles for a new coat of hi-temp paint. If it's the exterior, you could save time and effort by just feathering out the paint surrounding the chips and scratches. For any rust, I'd use a cup brush in an angle grinder. If you're trying to strip all the old paint which was baked on, you probably need a very aggressive chemical stripper or a glass beading cabinet. Prime the entire housing then paint. You might even try baking the finish coat, on top of a propane BBQ, set on low.

Don't quite follow your question. Are you trying to prep the exterior for a new coat of Mole maroon or are you trying to prep the interior baffles for a new coat of hi-temp paint. If it's the exterior, you could save time and effort by just feathering out the paint surrounding the chips and scratches. For any rust, I'd use a cup brush in an angle grinder. If you're trying to strip all the old paint which was baked on, you probably need a very aggressive chemical stripper or a glass beading cabinet. Prime the entire housing then paint. You might even try baking the finish coat, on top of a propane BBQ, set on low.

yea, sandblasting is the way to go to get the old paint off. A word to the wise...the high temp paint that Mole richardson sells (white for the inside of units) is extremely nasty. If I heard the lead scenic I was talking to today correctly it has an acid base as a vehicle. Not sure of that....but do check. Also be wary of the cloth ring that sometimes cushions the lens in its mount. The older units used asbestos. Mole should have all those parts as well. Check their website.

I have a working experience with the 10,000 Watt "Big Eye" Tener Solarspot . Big, heavy and hard to work on. Converted them into LED fixtures in fact - not my choice, or the current gray color - also not my choice. Some of them just left on a tour this past weekend. Should note them if you look - way down stage on pantographs.

Still though, in removing parts and servicing them in 10K - 1K in the older line, a few dozen I have serviced and a few I brought back to factory stock condition. Mostly all are the same in concept and style.

“I've removed the yolk and and lens casing and I have the barrel up on the work bench. The Reflector mechanism and electrics were previously removed because of a prior issue.

I went over one panel with a scouring pad and some liquid strip and it seemed to work, but it took me an hour and a half just to remove paint on the areas that were easily accessible. I went over some other areas with a dremal tool but that seemed to gouge the metal pretty badly. I also tried an ellipsoidal sander and that didn't do anything.”

I take it for granted that you are trying to remove the paint from the louvered panels for some reason - could be rust etc.

Don’t use chemical strippers as this ain’t woodwork or normal paint you are attempting to remove, it’s high temperature paint which is different. Beyond that, what residue is left in areas you cannot get at short of un-welding the casing and re-fabricating it will burn and later rust.

Scouring pad sure but not very efficient. Sand paper in say 100 thru 120grit, sure. Dremmel tool as with the do you mean right angle sander? Probably too aggressive of blades or types of blade.

If trying to remove the paint, a sand blaster would probably be most efficient in doing so. You can change the grit in perhaps a medium grit being the best balance in thickness of metal to hardness of paint to remove.

After that, you can get various Scotch Brite pads for a right angle grinder - I would go fine, as with for Dremmel where similar silicone fiber wheels are available - for this I would go medium to course. Plus Flap sanding discs in 80-120 grit after for either tool are also available. In removing paint, I would avoid other than course silicone fiber wheels as they would clog up too easily.

There is options out there. Main question is why you are chemical stripping seemingly all paint off the fixture? Was it completely surface rusted or pock marked or something? Chemical strippers don’t un-do rust as needing to sand after anyway. This plus for the most part the paint should be fine, if a problem with rust - the stripper won’t solve that problem.

What’s your goal in removing the paint that a feathered edge to any bad areas wouldn’t cover up? This especially if re-painting as Mole Maroon which is a fairly thick and forgiving paint? Shouldn’t be able to tell the difference in it’s use with what areas are worked on verses a cleaned base coat in painting.

Sand blasting is the only way to properly remove the paint if you want to re-lamp it. Might be some dipping possible - theoretically. Why completely remove the paint?

I would be more concerned about the parts you removed especially asbestos lens pads, wiring, under-base pads etc. if not wiring. Base and if you got a lamp with it most often can get a re-surfacing. Screws holding the base together and mounting it will often have a galvanic reaction in rusting and being in need of replacement. Heck, depending on the age, your insulator pads might also be asbestos. Possible to in theory seal them, or means you need to buy new.

Post phots and let us know how this project goes. Me, I would sand blast what you did or at least start with thinner etc. in trying to get rid of the residue of what chemicals you have applied remain. What damage you have done could be worse than the rust if it starts on fire or after painting, makes it not stick and promotes rust. Not a chair, don't use chemicals. This is an important point to make - it's a concept similar to using chemical strippers on say a wood burning stove in concept. Goal is to avoid a house fire or further rust.

I highly recommend the Mole Maroon spray paint by the way - good stuff.

Last edited:
Prime the entire housing then paint. You might even try baking the finish coat, on top of a propane BBQ, set on low.

Not sure what you mean by 10Kw Fresnel primer or baking on a BBQ. Talking about Powder Coating it? That would be cool and should work - though not sure what primer you mean.

Also be wary of the cloth ring that sometimes cushions the lens in its mount. The older units used asbestos. Mole should have all those parts as well. Check their website.

Not sure about the paint - different and better. "Air dry enamel" "This product contains chemicals known to the State o California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reprodutive harm. Contents: 67-641-1 Acetone, 64742-94-5 Heavy Aromatic Solvent, , 133020-7 Xylene (Mixed isomers, 107-87-9 Methyl N-Propyl Keytone, 100-41-4 Ethybenzane, 91-20-3 Aromatic Hydrocarbon, 763-69-9 Ethyl 3 Ethoxy Popionate, 68476-86- Hydrocarbon Propellant."

Warnings:
Vapors may cause flash fires
Extremely flamable
Contents under pressure
Harmful or fatal if soalled
Harmful or may cause eye irritation

"For Industrial or Professinal use Only."

As I said, good stuff. (Just happen to have a can about to reference.) Can will probably be traveling back to work and it's home in the explosive paint cabinet in the morning.

On the asbestos ring, crap normally sticks to the ring - sand blast it.

After that, I often just do Scotch #69 or something like McMaster #87575K83 as a pad. There is other 3M options available, though I probably wouldn't risk them on a 10K fixture.

What I'm suggesting is that he should not try and strip the fixture to bare metal. If there is rust, mechanically remove as much as possible. Treat any remaining rust with a metal prep like Ospho. Feather out any remaining paint before proceeding.
My BBQ statement, was not related to powder coating, just a method (heat), I have used to produce a harder paint finish. I have used and would recommend a hi-temp primer under the Mole Maroon.

What I'm suggesting is that he should not try and strip the fixture to bare metal. If there is rust, mechanically remove as much as possible. Treat any remaining rust with a metal prep like Ospho. Feather out any remaining paint before proceeding.
My BBQ statement, was not related to powder coating, just a method (heat), I have used to produce a harder paint finish. I have used and would recommend a hi-temp primer under the Mole Maroon.

Less a challenge than all fixture workers getting on the same page and finding out what you have tried in perhaps recommending like the primer what might work for others. This more flushing it out and curiousity in what you are up to in fixing I might learn from. High temp primer? What do you recommend?

All of us have the same overall concept for end result. Learn from each other? What do you use?

Ship, let me preface my reply with this statement. You probably refurb more fixtures in a week than I do in a year. I'm still finding out what works "better" and some of the processes I've applied in the past may have been un-necessary. I do agree with the statement that a good paint finish, starts with surface prparation and a primer coat. Here are some suggestion for primer: Hi-Temp Primer - High Temperature Zinc Primer - Header Paint Primer Stove Paint - High Temperature Stove Paint

Cool and thanks on the what you are doing verses what I'm doing same page concept. While I do probably work on more old gear per week than anyone else. Just found a 5 degree Colortran and Strand #2206 in a storage building today along with a boat load of 10 degree Colortran Lekos on a pallet shelf lost for years. Just because I'm doing mostly old fixtures unless I get a special project for something new, don't say that I am doing it best without debate and learning on all of our parts including mine.

Just as figuring out Altman Brown or Altman Texture black... I'm learning as I go also.

Imagine though climbing a pallet rack and finding a #2206 though above a pallet of Colortran ten degree Lekos thought no longer to exist. Zoom Leko is marked Chichago Theater - hope they don't want it back. Other fixtures, fairly useless given I already have all in the collection other than the 5 degree. Got the 10 degree version, not the smaller one for beam spread.

Nobody is above learning new stuff thus my work on old gear more often is invalid as a statement given new stuff learned. Thanks for the help in what to look towards. On the other hand my Grand Stage fluited Fresnels and Leko's in like a brass or copper coating, are much more decorative to leave alone and age naturally. That I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back