Flashlights

DarSax

How has this not been made into a thread before?! I realize that the Flashlight Forums have been linked to here before, but I'm more interested in what everyone here has to say.

What flashlight do you use? Incandescent, LED, headlamp, candle, red hot poker? Have any good suggestions for the people of controlbooth you'd like to pass on?

My main light is a Surfire L4 Lumamax 100 Lumen Single LED source...runs for about an hour at full strength then another 1.5 at around half strength. I go through a set of batteries every two months. Bright as all hell and very compact. Fits great on the belt and in the hand. Only drawback is there is no way to focus, but given the huge output you don't miss it too much. Also, a little expensive, but if you treat it right and keep track of it, it will last for years. Check out the Surfire website and you'll see how much abuse these things can actually take.

I also always carry a MiniMag w/ a NiteIze Red LED retrofit. Its great for use during a performace.

In the backpack is a Petzl Takika LED HeadLamp. This thing is great. Stunning output and battery life w/ a flip up red filter for "running" lights. Great when I need two hands (on the rail).

Streamlight TwinTask 3AAA Laser. Has laser for pointing out things to crew, has friggin bright 5-led mode, and then laser & xenon combo mode for when you want to illuminate and point. I've found this to be very useful. For instance, during our Urinetown light rig, "hang it up there on the midrail" (the midrail isn't lit well from below) "where on the midrail?" "There!" (Points with laser while illuminating with xenon at the same time).

Also good for pointing out connections in racks. Today, I was working on our new (to us) sound rack, and was pointing out a bad connection that the previous owner had made on a 4-pole speakon. That xenon/laser function really helped again. I haven't changed the batteries yet, and I've been using it for over a month. Great little light.

I've mentioned this before... I've got one of the new Mini-Mag 3 Watt LED's with two Costco AA batteries in it (total cost about $23). I put it up against a friend's $70 tactical flashlight with two $10 batteries in it and you could barely tell the difference. We could both spot the grid from the deck just fine. It certainly wasn't enough difference to justify all the money. I bet the three AA battery Mag would beat the expensive flashlight, but at 8 and a half inches it's a little long to carry around all the time.

I also have have an old mini-Mag with a a piece of extra dark purple gel in it for show use.

I sure like that laser idea.... cool.

I use a streamlight strion right now as my general task light. It is a great rechargeable flashlight that runs on one lithium ion battery stick and can run for about 1 hour. The charge time is 2.5 hours. It's bright but it does not have the cleanest beam unless it is focused into a tight spot.

Still like my normal AA sized MagLights. At times when I want light, I want a natural light that a incandescent/halogen source gives as opposed to fake white light that a LED source gives. Seeing stuff like the different colors in a 20 pair digital snake inside a dark box means you need a 100% color rendering index and many LED's I see just don't give out a very wide spectrum of light.

This given, the flash light I most grab is my mini flexible goose neck LED with a small pocket clip. I like it's size no matter if I'm fitting it into a conduit so as to find wires down it thru a hole or slipping it in between a few circuit breakers so as to aim it at a screw terminal. Little mini lamp that once I get it into a position, I can aim it's head. Just wish the belt clip were more able to clip to stuff.

Got other flash lights from a fat squat one with a bank of LED's that puts out a wash in a terrible blue color temperature to my 14.4v DeWalt flash light which is also useful, just doesn't adjust the beam angle like the old 9.6v Makitas did..

Just found this website... www.goldengadgets.com They've got lots of cool LED products including a 130 lumen LED flashlight for $40. Looks very impressive.

I got some LED's from them with a resistor built in so they work on 6v-12v for $1 each. I'm playing around with making some little 9 volt powered LED devices for back stage safety. Just a small box with an LED, battery and switch. Small, portable and beats glow tape. I'm too cheap to pay $10 each for those ones that snap onto a 9 volt. Anyway a buck each with the resistor already there is a great price.

They've got a pocket key chain UV LED light... yep black light in your pocket for $2.85. I got one. It's cute... doesn't throw much light but it's a cool toy for $3.

Shipping is cheap and the guy got it to me in like 3 days.

Haven't done that particular experiment myself, but I remember that Krypton bulbs EAT batteries. For someone who doesn't like to make a lot of trips to the hardware store...I'm cool with my Surfire.

I've used the same Maglite 2AA for 10 years. I replaced the bulb with the 3 led thing and the pushbutton you can get on ebay. Cost about $6 for that kit. I just don't use it often enough to even consider spending $100 on a better one, and from what I'm reading here, it's not worth the investment anyway.

You might try American Science and Surplus as they have a lot of cheap stuff.

Haha, we've got two flashlight threads (with the same name, even) going on at once...

Yeah, SciPlus is a great company to go to for all sorts of random stuff. I've purchased a number of useful oddities from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back