Flats with minimal supports

Sayen

I've never been happy with flats mounted in the middle of a revolve - the minimum bracing usually means the wall wobbles at the slightest touch. Wobbling walls drive me crazy.

Any good tricks for mounting a wall near the middle of a rotating wagon, so that neither side shows excessive bracing?

Well... build it out of steel.

Using 1x2 on edge to build a flat. Bolt this piece sandwiched between two platforms, or put in "masts" that bolt into the frame of the platform that run though the platforms and through the flat. If you want more elaboration, let me know. I have played this game before, it is not a fun one but it is totally doable. Also, how high you looking to go?

Trying to go 8' high. The mast idea is a good one, and won't require a massive investment in materials.

Exactly what Footer said,anytime you can run your vertical bracing down into the framing of the deck you're on, you will greatly increase the stability of the unit. This, a lot of times, also then calls for a beefing up of the framing of the revolve unit as well.
I also try to encourage designers to incorporate cabinetry, furniture, anything that might be going on one side of the wall , into the bracing scheme of that wall. For instance if one side of the wall is an alley way and the other side is Sam Spades office, why not have the file cabinets, a small table whatever, screwed to the wall and then into the deck. You will have effectivly increase the width of the walls foot print by 2 feet.

I am actually doing this right now. What we are doing it a Hollywood style flat out of 1x3s. where each stud meats the deck we mounted a piece of angle iron that is 3” wide and sticks out and up 3” with a few bolts the wall is very solid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back