Fleetwood Mac 09 Tour Dallas, TX

Anyone know SPECIFICALLY what was used for the effects on the hanging panels above the stage ((360 LEDs, DL3s, etc)) used during the Fleetwood Mac concert here in Dallas (may be the same in other venues) this year??

yup-- in fact, that's everything I needed to know! thanks! i LOVE CB!

Yup, martin LC panels...
We started with Versatubes on 2' spacing.... The band walked in, and decided they didn't like the gaps between tubes... so we tried more tubes, Reflectors, bounce boards, etc, to make Versatubes work, but could never get rid of dark vertical lines. We then tried ColorWeb, but it was to dim. Finally we brought in a few LC panels, (they were last, because they were also the most expensive.)
Everyone was happy. The inside of the lightbox is white to bounce ambient light. The Front screen is RP screen material. Front projection on the lightboxes come from the six DL3's (1 per lightbox) A lot of people seem to like the mixture of emissive video and projected video on the same surface..
Hope this answers your question... any others?

Derek... does that mean you are going to be one of my spot ops?

Cheers
RB
Lighting Crew Chief, Fleetwood mac "Unleashed" tour, 2009

Perhaps I've worked too many concerts, but...
The panels seemed like just another video screen to me.
I didn't think the DL.3s brought much to the party.
I didn't understand the panels' raison d'etre.
I've never been particularly enamored of the practice of pointing lights at black velour drape.
Here's the 2 1/2 hour concert in 2 1/2 minutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1Vau8gs6iQ&feature=related.
Axis called a good show though, and it's nice to see MR-16 strips still have a purpose.

Last time I ran spot for them with an all PAR can rig was better though.

Last edited:
I am not the designer, and won't put words in his mouth,... but here is my understanding of some of the design choices.

1. The band explicitly indicated NO haze/fog/atmosphere was to be used. So that all PAR rig of old wouldn't have the same visual impact as it would seeing atmosphere.

2. That dictum resulted in the use of video to provide the primary visual element of the show. The band wanted something other than just "another video wall" and what you saw was the result.

3. With the original build using Versatubes, the light boxes were much lower resolution. The DL-3's gave us some higher resolution options for when it was needed. Once the boxes went to LC panels, they decided to keep them to add a little variety to the texture of the video.

4. As far as lighting a black drape... I'm not keen on the concept either, but I understand the band didn't want anything brighter because it might be seen as" overpowering" or distracting. We started with a silky black, but the band thought that was too bright.
Not lighting it left a void.

Just my$0.02

take care
RB

But then you bailed on us for Europe for Miley. Wuss.

lol At least I might have a fighting chance on Modern Combat on the bus this time...:grin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back