Flip it over? - 12x12 platform/wagon

EWCguy

We've built a 12x12' wagon by bolting four 4x8 and one 4x4 platform together. We put casters on before bolting together, so this is a large wood wagon, ready to go, except the wheels are upwards. Since we have 6.5" heavy duty casters, we've tried to support the shearing planes by crossing all joints with additional 2x4. How do we flip this monster over? At up to 125 lbs per platform, we've got around 500 lbs of weight, over half of which will be over our heads if we can get the thing vertical. I'm sure I can get 8 or so burly folks to do the heavy lifting, but I'm wondering how to get one end up past what they can reach.

I don't see how we can get a rope & pulley involved. No real fly system, either.

I am considering raising it against a wall -- moving it closer and closer as they lift it at an angle, keeping the high end against the wall. Once it's vertical, we can more easily use lumber to help support on the way back down until it can be in hands again. In this situation, I may be able to use a rope from the platform to a loft block out to midstage for some guiding and safety.

Another option, if we can move the thing flat to the edge of the stage, is to lower one end down 28" to the house floor, but I'm not sure what benefit will be gained out there.

I now have ideas for how to take this thing apart at strike -- sort of an auto mechanic's approach, rolling it onto 28" support structures out on the house floor up to 7' away from the stage lip and removing the supports and removing the bolts from underneath where I can easily work on them - taking away a 4x8 at a time.

So I assume you are contemplating rolling it on one edge. Consider bolting or scaffold nailing something like 2X6s or 2X8s to sides as handles, probably with a brace, and swapping them when it's vertical. A 12' lever arm means at each 45 degree point the end of the lever or the edge opposite the pivot is about 8 1/2' up but you have lots of places to control it from. It clarify, from an "end" looking at profile, a 45-45-90 triangle that rotates 90 degrees, handles swapped, and rotates another 90 degrees.

Shouldn't be a problem to flip it over with 8 guys. I'd nail down a footer to keep it from sliding rolling on the pivot edge...

Bill, yes, rolling it on one edge. So, handles protruding outward, parallel to the face of the platform? or crossed perpendicular to the face? or simply attached parallel to the 2x4 frame?
I guess you could say perpendicular to the face - o they stick straight up with deck on the floor, and lever down to floor when deck is straight up. Just gives you a place to push or pull and to not have the leverage working against you.

With 8 guys - shouldn't be too hard as Bo points out - 60 pounds each - and decreasing to vertical and then increasing again.

My method does depend on there being stiffness across the edge.

And brawn wins out. Took seven young bucks from elsewhere in our college. Over easy without any handles or tools. Cost me sodas for each! Thanks for all the support here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back