Flippin throught the backstage handbook..

gafftapegreenia

CBMod
CB Mods
In the film & studio lighting section (Pg. 184 in my edition) there is a listing for a lighting instrument called a "cone light". It says it is available in 1k and 2k sizes. Now I ask you, what is a cone light? Is it an instrument with a conical reflector, a conical hood or just a conical beam spread? I'm usually aware of my fixture types, but this one's got me. Might anyone have a picture?

Most likely, think of a scoop that the scoop is a cone. There are all kinds of weird lights used for film, this is just one of them. For film anything that will gift an extremely soft edge and throw out a lot of light works, so they have made just about everything you can think of. Never heard of it myself, but its in the non focusable section so odds are the cone is just the housing.

That's what I was thinking. I am somewhat familiar with film & studio lighting from spending too much time on the websites of companies like Mole-Richardson and ARRI, but a conelight is something I've yet to see meniton of.

Do we have any film/studio people here that might know?

Here, I don't think we have anyone from the wild west, post on lightnetwork if you really must know, someone there can probably give ya an image.

got a ancient Mole catalog at work, I'll give it a look in the morning.

don't have that copy at my desk and got busy thus didn't go see my boss' desk. Still did some research.

From the B&H catalog p.11 of the 2003 Professional Lighting catalog:

Open Face; A general term for a luminarie that does not use a lens. They sometimes may be provided with a safety glass or wire mesh. Generally they cast a fairly wide beam. They are excellent lights if you are going to diffuse them through a silk, softbox, or bounce them off a reflective panel. They tend to be a little lighter in weight and less expensive than Fresnels.

Conic reflector & conic snouts for lamphead’s which are fixture bases that take a range of reflectors mounted on them. Conical Reflector #PL5R / HPRDSPL from page 147 - Quick-change reflectors. Conical Snout #531200 / VISC from page 168 0 Reflectors.

Seems as if the cone light is as if Fresnel in studio term initially. After that, it's a type of reflector in beam spread for an open faced wash light that's kind of like a NFL PAR I believe, or as found a type of beam limitor in top hat assembly. All I could find on an initial search.

All the research I did came up to one conclusion. A cone light is any light shaped light a desk light or nightstand light. No lens, just a conical reflector typically painted white.
Sorry I can't get more specific. Ships library is more extensive than the Library of Congress, so it stands to reason his is much more extensive than mine. :mrgreen:

Thanks guys, that was actually some pretty good research.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back