Floating Masonite Subfloor

Rainmaker

I've cruised the forums and seen the threads about a (semi) permanent masonite floor solution and even the temporary cross hatched type design with maso and OSB.

These aren't exactly what I'm looking for. I'm working on a show with an air caster powered revolve and need to play masonite down for a nicer glide. My question is what steps should I take to float a masonite subfloor so that it doesn't "bacon wave". I ordered 40 sheets of 1/8" and have them currently acclimating to the theatre space.

FWIW the reason I need to float the subfloor rather than screw into the deck is because I have a changeover to a dance company that begins tech rehearsals 2 days after this production closes and I have no shop assistants available to help strike.

Is your material tempered on one side, both sides, all the way through? If one sided, it's going to be very difficult, and may be in any case, especially with 1/8". You'll get some help by painting the back as well as the front. But I don't see how you're going to be able to not attach it to the floor. Maybe double-stick carpet tape (not the permanent kind) will be enough.

Incidentally, I have seen some of the cheaper, big box hardboard that won't lay flat no mater what you do.

If you can exchange it, the best would be full-tempored hardboard (sometimes called "Duron") although it's pricey. You might also consider particle board. It's fragile when handling, but lays flat and is cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back