Floor mics

I have a floor mic plugged into an input on the stage at our theater. There is no signal, and we tried three other inputs, and none worked. I tried plugging the floor mic straight into the sound board with the same cable, and it started working. The only thing I can think of is that all four inputs on the stage are broken, which isn't true. Any suggestions?

If you're patching with 1/4" audio cable instead of 1/4" TRS (Tip Ring Sleave) cables, you may have issues, too. Phantom power typically will only work with the 3-pin XLR jacks on your system.

I have difficultly believing that four mic inputs would essentially simultaneously fail, it could happen but it definitely makes one wonder if there is something else involved. Did you plug the mic into the same inputs on the mixer that are normally wired to the floor jacks that were not working? Do you have any mic input patching or splitting or anything else between the floor jacks and the mixer inputs? Can you tell us what mic you used for the testing and the model of the mixer?

If you plugged the mic into an input other than the floor inputs that were not working then it could be as simple as using a condenser mic and not having phantom power on for the floor input channels or some improper setting on the floor input channels, maybe the preamp gain is down or they are not routed properly.

To echo what the others said, what's the signal path between the microphone on-stage to you're console? What is the console (make/model)? How are you patching into the console? (Stupid question) Is phantom +48v turned on for that channel?

To me it either sounds like the mic's not getting phantom or your patch is messed up. Did you try a regular dynamic mic in each of the stage inputs to check that they work? If a dynamic mic works, then the floor mic's aren't getting phantom.

It could be that an install that a friend fixed is not the only one in which the installers ran mic lines through an unbalanced patch bay. Best check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back