Floor Mount for C-Clamps

Hi all,

At my last job I had these great fixture floor mounts that did not require swapping out a c-clamp for a bolt when attaching the light. I have been looking online and cannot find them for sale.

The floor mount had a steel plate on the bottom, with a short perpendicular steel plate that attached to a short piece of schedule 40 pipe running horizontal just above the plate. You could top hang the fixture to this pipe and it worked wonderfully, and the base was heavy enough to keep it from moving or tipping over.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Maybe they were built in-house? It sounds like something that would be very easily constructed by someone who knows how to run a welding torch reasonably capably. (That description does not include yours truly, alas.)

Given that most floor mounts are scrap plywood cut to size, I wonder what the market for a commercial version of what you describe is.

Maybe something like a low C stand? That'd require keeping TVMP studs on your lights, though.

Last edited:
I saw a company once travel with floor plates that had a U shaped mount of 1-1/4” pipe, 2 flanges on the wood and which the unit could hang with a c-clamp. It was a stupid design, heavy and bulky.

About a 9" square 1/4" plate, with same barstock steel at a right angle to 1.5" sch.40 pipe? Asked my Wife... called "Herbie Bases". I have no further info or history about them.

I make a spotbar which is a 49mm square with one corner radiused to accept the bolt and the flat side will fit an Australian socket, made into a standard H stand it holds a G clamp perfectly. Invented about 40 years ago, I'll try get you a picture.

We have a set that was manufactured, but unfortunately not any more. They're an aluminum pipe, with a set of aluminum rectangle tube welded to the bottom in the shape of an H. They work really well, and stack nicely too. I wish I had more, but wooden base plates are just too cheap and easy to fab in house.

1607350627690.png

the slot fits a 10mm x 16mm plastic duct to carry dmx

We have a set that was manufactured, but unfortunately not any more. They're an aluminum pipe, with a set of aluminum rectangle tube welded to the bottom in the shape of an H. They work really well, and stack nicely too. I wish I had more, but wooden base plates are just too cheap and easy to fab in house.

I have used these, I like them a lot....

Sean...

We have bases that have 1" square tube as the legs of a capital "H" with the cross being a piece of 1.5" Sch. 40 pipe. The legs are approx. 18" long the cross is approx. 12". Built in house. Now, I would upsize the square tube so that there was a little more clearance below the cross pipe for use with aluminum clamps. They nest together for storage.
I thought that PRG or 4Wall had the floor stands you are looking for, but a quick Google was not helpful.
Good luck.
John

Not sure if these are store bought or home brew. They were in the theater when I arrived but they are fantastic. Made from aluminum so they are really light weight. View attachment 21220
Judging by the clamp marks, they look wide enough to support two fixtures side by side.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Judging by the clamp marks, they look wide enough to support two fixtures side by side.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard
They are 12" square. It would be tight, but you could probably get two fixtures on there. I've never tried it, but they definitely look like they have been used that way.

If I was making my own, I think I would shift the pipe to about 25% in from one end. As my fine drawing below illustrates. Seems like this would be more stable and easier to store.

Attachments

• IMG_20201207_133923__01.jpg
    IMG_20201207_133923__01.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 150
They are 12" square. It would be tight, but you could probably get two fixtures on there. I've never tried it, but they definitely look like they have been used that way.
Possibly two Source Four Juniors?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back