Floor pocket requirements

mstaylor

Departed Member
Our local civic center is tearing the existing floor out of the arena to the dirt and replacing it. We will be getting many more floor pockets than we have now with what we actually need in them. I will be adding a mic send to each pocket and comm in selected pockets. I need to spec the wire size and connector type for each. I assume that the wire type will be the same for both mic and comm sends but wanted to ask somebody that knows more than me. We are using Clear Comm headsets.
They are once again asking the light guy to spec sound stuff.

The cable is generally the same for mic and comms. Or rather, the Clearcom party line system is designed to run on standard mic cable. The mic connectors will be panel mount female 3 pin XLR's. I'm currently a fan of the Neutrik DLX series. Do you use 2-channel belt packs or single channel? If you use single channel packs, the comm connector will be a panel mount male 3 pin XLR. If you use 2-channel packs, then you'll need a 6 pin XLR. If do use 6 pin XLR, be careful of which pin orientation you need, there are 2 different ones, Switchcraft and standard (I'm not sure if the standard config has a particular name or not).

One thing to consider with comm systems - if you are using single channel belt packs you might want to install an A and a B channel in your floor pockets. That way to can have some seperation and still use single channel packs.

One other thing - clearcom packs have male and female connectors on them, so in theory your comm connectors in your floor pockets could be either male of female. Generally speaking, a male connector is considered to be an output connector, a female an input. For this reason I like my comm panel connectors to be male. The outputs on the back of the clearcom main stations are male.

Do you have any input into what the floor boxes are? If you let the Electrical Engineer select them you may not be happy as they often specify boxes that require custom plates for anything other than Edison receptacles or RJ jacks or boxes that do not handle connectors with any length very well or that have to have the lid open when in use. If the boxes are on grade or in slabs you will probably have to look at a backbox and insert arrangement, you won't be able to use typical stage boxes where they directly contact earth or concrete. And in an arena setting you may have to consider the weight the box can support. Something like this, FL-H20-1, can be nice where you have a number of services and require heavy duty load ratings.

You might also want to detail the box and the related conduit serving it. Especially if there are multiple compartments or different size plate areas, it can be important to get the right conduit coming into the right part of the box. Having the power come in where the mic jack will go and the mic line come in the power receptacle section can lead to problems.

I second the suggestion for CAT5+ cable at each pocket, terminated in a patch panel. Given the wide variety of things that can be run over it (Video, Digital Snakes, DMX, in addition to normal computer or phone applications) it's a good way to plan for future unplanned needs.

-Fred

Anything you can put in there now will cost you ten times as much to put it in later ;)

I'd add enough multi-strand to handle a couple more mic/return channels in each pocket, as well as cover in-wall breakages.

Assuming of course, that you have some spare capacity in the floor pockets, have them run as many extra, empty conduits as they can for future use. Odds are that at some point down the road, you will need those extra conduits.

We are planning to to have a 50 amp and a 60 amp connector in each box. There will be water and drains in some of them. We also are planning for a mic line in all the boxes, headsets in part of the boxes, 110 receptacles in all boxes, and cat 5 in all of them. We finally convinced them to inconnect the boxes in case we need to pull something extra between them. Everything is going to return to box backstage. It isn't in the bid but when they pull everything to the sound booth, I am going to run a 5 pin for DMX. I didn't see any need for DMX in the boxes.

We have two types of temp boxes that feed from the floor pockets, one is fifty amps and has a strange plug, the second is a five pin twist that happens to marry to many motor controlers. We are putting both sizes back in the new pockets so we don't have to buy a ton of new breakouts.
The water/drain is put in for trade shows. We have some shows that display hot tubs and are currently having to make long runs to water to fill and drains to empty. We figure to put this ability in a few of the boxes to cut down on the mess they make.
I forgot, we are also putting phone and cable in the boxes for the same reason. We have been dropping phone lines and cable hookups from the ceiling and it looks terrible. Now we can tie them in at pockets for TV and credit card machines.
Also we will be putting in a central trough to lay show snakes in to eliminate yellow jackets. People don't seem to be able to pick their feet up enough to clear them.

You put phone and TV in so when somebody says "I want a TV on stage" you can say, plug it in here. (as opposed to running 500 feet of cable).

I'm pretty sure I'd request the water stuff in a separate box as the electrical...pretty sure there's a code regarding this?

You have to remember we do a lot of conventions and trade shows which is why we have the phone and cable. I have another building I work in that has the water/drain in the floor pockets.

One recommendation I have is make sure they're deep! I can't count the number of times where I've been in a building and the pocket was too shallow, the connectors stick up and get stepped on breaking the connector or the mounting plate.

Make certain the pockets are deep enough that physical connector is below grade when plugged in.

I certainly second the CAT5 and RG6 coax. Also, make sure any spare conduits have pull string installed for when additional wire is installed. I would at a minimum have double-gang pockets because with the correct plate a double-gang box will support up to 12 cables, 6 per gang.

I concur with all your points. Our current pockets are deep enough but require them to be partially open to allow wires in and out. I have fought this since we opened in late
'79. I was insistant that they have some means to allow cable entrance but still be flat. I gave them a list of pockets that would work but I don't know what the final choice is. The same goes for the center trough. I want it to be able to be entered and exited at any point in the run.

Adding to what others have said, you need to build a degree of future resistance in. Don't install Cat 5 or 5e, go 6 or 6a - it will give you better longevity. I wouldn't bother with phone cabling, just add another Cat 6 or two...

I'd seriously consider fibre connections - some of these trade shows have the bandwidth demands to warrant it.

I'd spec comms to every pit, otherwise, sure as anything on the first show you'll want it at one of the other pits... I'd prefer dual input tie lines (back to a patch panel) and an output also. Run it all in AES spec cable. Consider also 3GHz or 4.5 GHz coax drops to each box to support SDI video etc as may be needed, also being useful for MADI, word clock, etc.

...I'd spec comms to every pit, otherwise, sure as anything on the first show you'll want it at one of the other pits... I'd prefer dual input tie lines (back to a patch panel) and an output also. Run it all in AES spec cable. Consider also 3GHz or 4.5 GHz coax drops to each box to support SDI video etc as may be needed, also being useful for MADI, word clock, etc.

You are now over my head. I have the whole light guy, not sound guy, thing going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
What Chris is basically saying is suggesting to use digital rated cable for audio and video. Cable rated for AES audio or SDI/HD-SDI video will work for analog audio and video as well and using it leaves open the option for digital signal use.

I want to reiterate for others, convention center type floor boxes are very different than stage floor boxes as far as size, connectivity, load capacity, etc. They typically have to handle all the utilities that multiple displays or vendors may require (communications, power and in some cases, water, sewer (thus the drain) and perhaps even gas. Yet they have to be able to be driven over by forklifts, cars, etc., which is why terminations on posts and walls where possible rather than in the floor is quite common.

Thank-you and that is a good synopsis of what is unique to a CC floor pocket.
I am being asked to specify the exact connectors and cable to be used, any suggestions?

Last edited:
I would also add Cat 5, 5e, or 6. It can be used for data (internet and LAN), line-level audio, intercom, telephone, and medium resolution video.

I would also put a few single and multi-mode fiber optic cables in. Many of the digital audio snakes are using fiber, and it can also be used for high resolution video, wideband RF (like TV and satellite IF).

If you add those to the system, you'll seldom ever have to run anything over the floor. It's cheap and easy to put it in now. Hard and expensive later.

Ok so exact cables and connectors...

Say we do 2 female and 2 male audio line per pocket. Either or both male can be used for comms by relevant patching. That makes nicely for a 4 way audio snake. Something like Eurocable SSAD04C would work nicely. Connectors - Neutrik NC3FD-LX for female, NC3MD-LX for male. If you are doing the assembly, append -M3 to the end fo each for pretaped threads, If someone else is, that bit is optional.

Cat 6 - whatever the contractor wants to use. Connectors: Neutrik Ethercon. (Can Brad or someone comment on the mating of a Cat5e ethercon into a Cat 6 ethercon socket - they look to be opposite genders, if so great work Neutrik:twisted:.)

Coax - Belden - 4.5 GHz. I don't have the part number handy. Connectors: Neutrik NBB75DFIB-P. I wouldn't be sure of performance from a solder connector at 4.5 GHz...

RF - RG6 with F connectors (which can be a right pain)

Fibre - consult someone who knows what they are talking about. Neutrik Opticalcon will take a standard LC connector as well as the rugged Neutriks. Make sure they clearly mark which is single mode fibre and which is multimode (get both installed)...http://www.neutrik.com/fl/en/video/210_t2_295026140/NBB75DFIB-P_detail.aspx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back