Control/Dimming Floor Pockets - Spec'ing and pricing.

gafftapegreenia

CBMod
CB Mods
I'm trying to figure out average ball park pricing on new floor pockets for our space. I'm not looking for an exact number, but rather some ball park figure to use on a proposal to the College. Our old Electro-Controls ones are not deep enough to close properly with the new style 2P&G connectors, and a number of the composite-material female connectors are busted.

I'm looking for twelve (12), four (4) outlet, 2P&G, floor pockets. I don't know how custom manufactured a floor pocket is, but again, is there an average price? Altman's list price looks to be around $200, is that reasonable? Again this is something I've never had to price out before, so I just want some average figures.

Additionally, what companies (Besides Altman) are recommended for distribution equipment?

Gafftaper, I know you had craziness with your new building, any thoughts on distribution equipment?

Altman's, as well as most other manufacturers', MSRP List Prices are seldom "reasonable."

GTG, I'd also suggest an email to SSRC.

One of the best ideas I've ever seen, attributed to consulting firm Schuler Shook, is a 1" wide strip of thin rubber, affixed only at the top, over each connector, to prevent debris from collecting in the female 2P&G pins.

Also consider labor costs. Depending on your installation, it's possible much of the floor will need to be removed to mount and wire the backbox.

Thanks everyone lots of good stuff to start with.

Interesting you need to replace the floor pockets in not being deep enough for your current plugs. Once serviced some mid-1920's floor pockets that while the internal light was long gone for them - never even knew such a thing was supposed to be there, and two verses three pin stage, much less 30A slip was in use, there was more than enough room within the cavity to house lots of cables. This much less under the stage there was a door to open such pockets in reliecing what was sweped into them out of the box. Them were nice pockets though I never noticed the music stand like lamp housing within them that will have been nice to have.

Find that curious in that most plug types need at least as much space as a stage pin if not more in being deep. Easy enough to save the pocket and change the connectors within it as an observation without replacing the entire pocket.

Depending on how the space is configured and used, perhaps eliminating the floor pockets and going to overhead drop boxes or wall mounts would be worth thinking about. Floor pockets never seem to be in the right spots, the cords coming out of them are trip hazards, and the floor will always end up being swept and mopped by people who won't bother going around the pocket door, dropping trash and water into the box.

If you're redoing existing pockets, that's one thing, but if you are working on a new space, or remodeling an old one, getting rid of the pockets would have my vote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back