Floor Vents on Stage Floor

usetedaj

Hey there,
For some reason, when my building was constructed, they put four 9"x36" HVAC vents on the stage floor: two on each side, just offstage of the proscenium, about 9' and 15' upstage of plaster. I can't eliminate them. But I do need to repair them, and I'd love to replace them with something flush to the floor. They sit on top of the stage floor, which is two layers of 3/4" plywood on sleepers. They interfere with rolling scenery. I'd love to replace them with something flush to the surface of the stage that's strong enough not to get crushed by a wagon. I'm not as concerned about Genie lifts since I don't have one, but hey, while we're dreaming...

I've been thinking of a rectangle of welded steel angle, with one leg of the angle resting in a rabbet routed into the stage floor, and the other leg going down into the vent, with a fiberglass grating like McMaster-Carr #66035T52, inside that steel angle, supported by a steel bar welded to the angle. The only way I've figured to secure that is with epoxy, since all the stock attachment hardware protrudes over the surface, defeating the goal of a "flat" stage floor. That makes me a little uneasy, as I'd like it to be a little more permanent.

Has anyone else dealt with something like this? Is there a stock item out there I just haven't found?

Many thanks!

-Alex

I like your thinking. You might want to consider welding an 1" x 1.5" L -Iron frame and in-setting that around the opening, just as a reinforcement for the exposed butt-ends of your flooring.
Also you might want to look here: http://www.mcnichols.com/products/p...hols grating&gclid=CP7Ir4fJrc8CFQkNaQodogQF4Q
Direct form manufacturer may help you with costs.
You will, most likely, want some kind of interior bracing to support that 36" run.

Just steel bar grate on shelf angles should be fine fix ( for this really dumb design). I think you want the bars running SL to SR. Less noise and less trips at cost of wider casters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back