Fluorescent bulb acting up

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by Christian Lake, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Christian Lake

Christian Lake Member

so the other day I was going through Qs for our show, and noticed this fluorescent light acting weird, sometimes it works but sometimes it doesn’t. Now we did work on this last year because it wasn’t working, so we replaced the ballast and the light last year which in my opinion I don’t think it could have gone out that fast. Could it possibly be a short? Ever since our school had a renovation in 2009 this light fixture has been giving us problems. Any clue on what it could possibly be?

RonHebbard likes this.
  2. RickR

RickR Well-Known Member

Consultant
    My first guess is that the new ballast isn't exactly like the others. There are several ways to it could be 'just wrong' but it only takes one!

RonHebbard likes this.
  3. Christian Lake

Christian Lake Member

Yeah but what’s weird about it is that if it comes on first before the rest do then it doesn’t turn on but if it comes on exactly when the others come on it works. We’ve replaced this ballast about 10 times already. Everything in that fixture is brand new

RonHebbard likes this.
  4. RonHebbard

RonHebbard Well-Known Member Premium Member

5. microstar

microstar Well-Known Member

Lighting/Sound/Video installation/repair
    It's obvious that these are on a dimmer, so they need to have "dimmable ballasts". Chances are the one that is misbehaving either doesn't have a dimmable ballast or if it does, it is not an exact match to all the others that do work properly. Or I could be totally wrong.

RonHebbard likes this.
  6. Christian Lake

Christian Lake Member

@RonHebbard it is on a Lehigh dx2 dimmer rack some of these fluorescents are also on an emergency modules in case the power goes out

RonHebbard likes this.
  7. RonHebbard

RonHebbard Well-Known Member Premium Member

8. Mac Hosehead

Mac Hosehead Well-Known Member

Since the fixture is running from a dimmer rack, I might assume that it has a 2-wire dimmable ballast. Ballasts of this type can vary as to how well they perform when dimmed. I would also have to assume that the current ballast in the fixture was not replaced with the same ballast as the original. ETC used to have a sheet that showed which ballasts worked better with their systems but I cannot find it. One ballast I believe I can recall working well was this:
    https://www.iballast.com/media/pdf/advance/Mark-10-powerline-brochure-v1.pdf

Other issues can affect dimming performance such as good grounding. ETC also recommended running new lamps at full for 100 hours before normal use.

RonHebbard likes this.
  9. JD

JD Well-Known Member

Dimmable Florescents are a tricky business. Unless all your ballasts are of the same type, hopefully from the same run, and your lamps are age matched from the same batch, then getting a real good match will be a problem.
    There are variances in tube gassing that may change the point where they strike-on. In addition, even ballasts of the same part number may vary in construction year-to-year.
    There are usually two circuits feeding the ballast, one is on all the time and preheats the cathodes as soon as it sees voltage on the second circuit, which is the one from the dimmer. The actual design of the circuit varies depending on the manufacturer.
    Putting a small (100 watt) ghost load on the circuit that is dimmed may prevent misfires.

RonHebbard likes this.
  10. Christian Lake

Christian Lake Member

Could it possibly have something to do with how all of the fluorescents don’t turn off at the same exact time?

RonHebbard likes this.
  11. abbyt

abbyt Active Member

Field Service Engineer
    Greater Cincinnati, Ohio area, United States
    RonHebbard likes this.
  12. Les

Les Well-Known Member

That's a symptom of the same problem. Once you start relamping, replacing ballasts, etc; it seems like no two fluorescent fixtures will ever dim the same way again. Read JD's post again.

I know why some schools have fluorescent houselights (cost, efficiency, labor) but it still makes me cringe. They never look good, even when operating correctly.

macsound, RonHebbard and RickR like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice