Fly Rail/Theater rigging training

A question for @egilson1 , for venues which need training is it possible to include rigging inspection with some training sessions. There are some places which don't have frequent inspections budgeted for, this might be a way to improve safety. It might also be easier to sell a combo deal with the upper management on this idea.

Interesting question. Just last week I completed a 2 day training course on fly systems that now gives me a unit of competency to operate a fly system. What it does not give me is a qualification to attach anything to the fly (lucky I already have that qualification). Although I have been deemed competent I believe this is my licence to start to learn for real. Asking question from experienced operators is what I will be doing as I learn the finer details until such time I can confidently operate (and load and unload) the fly system.
Lots of dangers with fly systems for those who do not know.
My training course was run by the Melbourne Arts centre who are a registered training organisation.

All the best

Geoff

Hello, this may sound like a dumb question. but are there any reputable online training programs for theater fly rail system and rigging safety? not necessarily certifications but just informative I'd like to keep myself and staff informed on the best safety practices.
Alfonso, let us know if you're looking for training for an individual or a group. What's the venue got that you're working in? There may be options, but more info would definitely help. And I would listen to @egilson, he's super good at this.

Interesting question. Just last week I completed a 2 day training course on fly systems that now gives me a unit of competency to operate a fly system. What it does not give me is a qualification to attach anything to the fly (lucky I already have that qualification). Although I have been deemed competent I believe this is my licence to start to learn for real. Asking question from experienced operators is what I will be doing as I learn the finer details until such time I can confidently operate (and load and unload) the fly system.
Lots of dangers with fly systems for those who do not know.
My training course was run by the Melbourne Arts centre who are a registered training organisation.

All the best

Geoff
Yeah Geoff here in the U.S. we don't have any of the certifications you have down there. It's a bit insane actually. ETCP is a great certificate of mastery program, but we really need some sort of basic competency tests.

Yeah Geoff here in the U.S. we don't have any of the certifications you have down there. It's a bit insane actually. ETCP is a great certificate of mastery program, but we really need some sort of basic competency tests.
The way the competencies work is they are a part of a total qualification. Qualifications are cert I-IV and are made up of a number of units or subjects. The cert I and II can be done with your eyes closed if you apply common sense cert III and IV are quite a bit harder and require you to do some work.
They will be made up of mandatory subjects and a range of elective subjects that you can mix and match to suit your requirement but are all based around the needs of the qualification. Works quite well.

The way the competencies work is they are a part of a total qualification. Qualifications are cert I-IV and are made up of a number of units or subjects. The cert I and II can be done with your eyes closed if you apply common sense cert III and IV are quite a bit harder and require you to do some work.
They will be made up of mandatory subjects and a range of elective subjects that you can mix and match to suit your requirement but are all based around the needs of the qualification. Works quite well.
Here there is a pretty basic knowledge and skill test to join a union. But a lot of jobs don't require that and it's basic. There's no rigging or electrical knowledge required. Other than that we really have nothing but your college degree to prove you know anything, until you reach a level of mastery then you can pass the ETCP exams. But those only cover a limited number of disciplines. Your Certs are far more comprehensive for showing that you have learned something and are prepared to begin doing it professionally. We end up relying a lot on personal references and dumb luck to know if someone actually has the skills to do a job.

Here there is a pretty basic knowledge and skill test to join a union. But a lot of jobs don't require that and it's basic. There's no rigging or electrical knowledge required. Other than that we really have nothing but your college degree to prove you know anything, until you reach a level of mastery then you can pass the ETCP exams. But those only cover a limited number of disciplines. Your Certs are far more comprehensive for showing that you have learned something and are prepared to begin doing it professionally. We end up relying a lot on personal references and dumb luck to know if someone actually has the skills to do a job.
Quoting @gafftaper: "Here there is a pretty basic knowledge and skill test to join a union."
1; What's your name?
2; Who's your father??
3; What's your phone number???
Some call it nepotism; we call it TRADITION.
Toodleoo!
Ron (Long retired from IA 129, IA 357, & IBEW 105) Hebbard

to give you an example of levels required for certificates a Cert III is use at at trades levels for apprenticeships. With a Cert IV I can develop training and assessment materials, deliver training and assess competency at a vocational educational level (sort of adult learning) a cert II could be a short course for pre apprenticeship or basic skills to get a job and a cert I is well a waste of time and can get done in a couple of sessions.
I think we have a good system but it could be improved.

Here are several options for training.

Available ETCP Recognized Training: Chicago Flyhouse​

| ETCP Certifiable News: Fall 2020 |
Chicago Flyhouse offers a variety of online classes on rigging and safety topics. Many topics in core rigging skills, such as Design Factor, Hardware, Forces and Load, and Bridle Math are free and offered on a rotating basis. Premium classes are a low-cost paid option that covers a wider range of topics or covers core topics in greater depth, often featuring expert guest presenters. Chicago Flyhouse is an ETCP Recognized Training program and all classes qualify for ETCP renewal credits. Class schedule varies week to week so the best way to know what is coming up is to sign up for the weekly class announcement emails at www.flyhouse.com/training/training-list. Up to date information and a full listing of the class catalog is also available at www.flyhouse.com/training. Customized private training is available as well. Contact [email protected] for more information.

Hall Rigging Academy is offering a new online (asynchronous) course on Rigging Math for Arena Riggers. This 21-lesson course covers a wide array of topics related to arena rigging math. There are over 9 hours of videos to watch, plus sample problems to work. Cost is $110 (USD).
Enroll at: https://hallriggingacademy.thinkific.com/
For questions, email Delbert Hall at [email protected].

Many years ago I studied with Delbert before I took my first ETCP certification test. Passed with ease!

USITT is bringing one of its most popular training classes to Minnesota's Orpheum Theatre and State Theatre this summer. The Jay O. Glerum Rigging Masterclass is an absolute must for those working in technical theatre. Two tracks are being offered in Minnesota — entry level and advanced — and classes are strictly limited in size, so it’s important that you secure your place as soon as possible.

Of course there is always SRI, Sapsis Rigging.
For more information or to request a seminar for your facility, use our online request form, email us at [email protected] or call 800-727-7471

My only experience was in a non-equipped theater. They contracted (many times) this company to install, train, aerograph and strike. http://flybyfoy.com/

They very very strict and wise. We operated every aspect after the careful and thorough training sessions. No contractors were present for the event, that was all local crew who trained with Foy.

i dont know if this applies to your situation, but everyone, including the parents of child actors, felt very secure with this highly recommended company. When I launched my 16 year old daughter “to the Emerald City as fast as lightning…”

nothing like it

Running a rental house as we do, we have had, over the years, a dozen or more companies ask "if dad can fly Peter Pan".

We always tell them the same thing: "If you want to fly people, you need to call Foy, or another top 5 flying company; expect their bill to be comfortably up into 5 figures".

That usually solves it. :)

My only experience was in a non-equipped theater. They contracted (many times) this company to install, train, aerograph and strike. http://flybyfoy.com/

They very very strict and wise. We operated every aspect after the careful and thorough training sessions. No contractors were present for the event, that was all local crew who trained with Foy.

i dont know if this applies to your situation, but everyone, including the parents of child actors, felt very secure with this highly recommended company. When I launched my 16 year old daughter “to the Emerald City as fast as lightning…”

nothing like it
While the OP was looking for training/info on counterweight scenic fly system, you'll hear us all agree that bringing in professionals to safely suspend and move humans is the only way to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back