Fly System In A Gym?

Just thought I'd chime in here.

In September of 2000 I fell off a lighting truss from somewhere between ten and fifteen feet off the ground. I fell because I was not following proper safety procedures. As a result of that fall I have damaged cartilage in both of my knees, and a pinched nerve in my back. The net result is that pain has been a near constant in my life for the last eight years. Exercise and occasional anti-inflammatories are able to reduce my pain levels, but never eliminate it. That said, I was lucky. That fall really should have killed or paralyzed me.

Anything you can do to reduce the risk of the type of accident I had is absolutely worth the expense. If that means spending 5 grand to hire a rigging company that specializes in flying people for your production, then bite the bullet and spend the money. If you can't fit the money into your budget, perhaps you should not be doing Peter Pan.

Last edited:
All of you have been very helpful. As a teacher and theatre director safety is always a HUGE concern and certainly our first priority. I'm also the cheer coach and we do many technical stunts while this is different I just wanted everyone to know I knew I'd need a professional and there's no no way I'd ever attempt this w/o a professional.
Here's another question? If you didn't do the fly scenes, any ideas on how the actors could appear to fly w/o an actual fly system?
Thanks Again

For an interesting recent discussion on how to make people look like they are flying without actually raising them off the ground. Click the search function and type in the box: willy wonka fly system

In response to NickJones, whom many of you have neglected to note is in Melbourne, one word; Showtech. Get Showtech to do anything rigging in Melbourne (though they can probably be appropriately compensated to do it elsewhere is Aus or indeed the world).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back