Fly system question

Not clear but is the rigging motorized? Without drawings etc. it needs to be hung closest to its center of gravity as possible so the forces to tilt it are minimized. Shape or profile is critical but hanging it on a pivot arm like an orchestra shell ceiling or hanging it on a series of wire ropes that attach downstage, run through a pulley on a center batten, and attach up stage - so the piece "rolls" but stays centered are two possibilities.

Hate to say it but if you don't know how to do this, find or hire someone who is qualified and does know how and you will then learn for the next time. Bent battens are unfortunately a sign of not good.

Agreed. This is do-able most likely, but theres a lot of forces involved that need to be taken into account. I will say in general point loads (ex 2 pieces of wire rope) need to be attached as close as possible to the batten lift lines.

Not sure where you're from, North = North Island NZ??
This can be done safely but without details, I can't tell just how safely it is being done at your theatre. If the the rigging manufacturer has a rep you can contact, I would suggest calling them or your local version of a certified rigger to examine the setup and offer advice if/as needed.

If you can supply drawings, plan and section, and more details, we'd be glad to comment further.

Solved.......Thanks.

So, did you determine that there really wasn't a problem..........or..........was the solution so simple you don't want to say.........or??????

Let us know what you decided as to what the problem really was and then let us know what solution worked for you. Part of the give and take of this forum is sharing your information. So - share!

The piece itself was rigged downstage with slings, the tilting batten is center of the stage and has two wire ropes at both ends (exactly at the lift lines) that attach to the bottom of the piece (there's no room for pulleys or more ropes). Not wanted movement of the battens and bending was minimized with good programming. The movement is all about speed and timing.

Wow, can you stop with the slash and burn edits/rewrites? it becomes such a disjointed thread, i think this is the third or fourth version of the original post/solution. Safety is everyone's concern and I am glad that you and your coworkers were able to come to terms with the problem.

Agreed, given the nature of the forum these threads are archived and preserved to help people in the future with similar problems and editing everything after the fact makes things really unclear and makes this a useless thread when someone searches because they don't see what the issue was and if it is similar. Plus we always like to know what the end results of solved problems are for our own knowledge too. It's good to know when things work out

Via tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back