Fly system with not enough fly space

WTH, let's throw some gasoline...
At one venue, a previous user had folded the sides back on the US of the transverse pipe (tired of the "wrap" portion blocking entrances/exits). Still a cyc? What about when the goods are in a hamper? Still a cyc?

So we can't say asymmetric-reflector cyc light? Drop light (aka trouble light)? Backdrop light (aka Wizard)? ETC iPhone app CYC Tool misnamed?
Oh, You can SAY whatever you want.... Whether it's right or not is the question.

I'll pedant with the best of them but I think this is a place where the language needs to adapt to the common usage. I don't like "sky drop," because it's not necessarily being a sky. It's serving the function of a cyc in terms of usage.

My doorbell has no bells in it at all, my iron is made out of teflon and plastic, and "selfie" is in the dictionary. What can you do?

If it's pick on @BillConnerFASTC time, I do cringe a little when he writes "quartz" lights rather than tungston-halogen.

It's popular these days to rewrite history and ignore traditions. Let's adopt history to what's convenient and trendy. Makes it easier to go get the lessens of the past.

Reactions: Van
If it's pick on @BillConnerFASTC time, I do cringe a little when he writes "quartz" lights rather than tungston-halogen.
You're right. "A halogen lamp, also known as a tungsten halogen, quartz-halogen or quartz iodine lamp, is an incandescent lamp consisting of a tungsten filament sealed into a compact transparent envelope that is filled with a mixture of an inert gas and a small amount of a halogen such as iodine or bromine."

I'll try to use quartz-halogen here-to-fore.

In all fairness I should explain. Long ago in the first technical theater course I took the instructor mentioned these "new-fangled" quartz lights and explained that it was a quartz crystal that glowed. I should point out that it was a small department and he was the only person teaching all the tech courses and was primarily a scene and costume designer. I had also discovered TheatreCrafts magazine and had just read an article on the these lamps and all the advantages.

If you can't fly your drop all the way out, you might want to look into making a roll drop. They work pretty well for limited fly space situations.

Or the opposite with an Oleo drop (the storage roll is at the bottom and the scenery rolls up on it as it is raised, while the top of the scenery drop remains static.
Or get mechanical and make a wall of small periaktos (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periaktos) that all move in synchronous rotation (like you sometimes see in billboards).

Why yes, here is an example.
quartzlight.jpg

Sally Sunshine oft enthuses upon the healing qualities of this type of lamp.

Just call them light bulbs. Geez.

It's popular these days to rewrite history and ignore traditions. Let's adopt history to what's convenient and trendy. Makes it easier to go get the lessens of the past.

I'm not sure why I picked this fight, because I'm almost entirely on your side. Language does and must evolve, but I prefer to be on the side of slowing the evolution. I think I've mentioned that I love to confuse electricians by calling out Roscolux gels as x05, etc, because that's the way I learned. By the time I learned it, the distinction from Roscolene was already irrelevant, so I'm second generation luddite on that. We all draw the line somewhere.

I well remember an afternoon in Jr. High being on top of the "A" laddrer fixing a Fresnel that was out. Opened the front and found a broken filament. Unplugged it and called down for a new "BULB." After a few minutes our dear drama teacher, Mr. Martin, climbed up under me and handed me--a bulb. It was about 8" in diameter and I think it was a fish bowl. After everyone on the crew stopped laughing, he asked, "Now. would you like a base and a filament with that?" Never said "bulb" since.

And, Bill Conner, I still think in Cinabex.

I well remember an afternoon in Jr. High being on top of the "A" laddrer fixing a Fresnel that was out. Opened the front and found a broken filament. Unplugged it and called down for a new "BULB." After a few minutes our dear drama teacher, Mr. Martin, climbed up under me and handed me--a bulb. It was about 8" in diameter and I think it was a fish bowl. After everyone on the crew stopped laughing, he asked, "Now. would you like a base and a filament with that?" Never said "bulb" since.

And, Bill Conner, I still think in Cinabex.
@JonCarter At least he didn't bring you a daffodil or tulip.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back