Flying bats in a small venue

BruceP

I've just been asked to see if I can put together a "flying bat" effect for a production of Dracula being performed next fall. The venue is a small black box theater with a 14' high ceiling that pipes are hung from for lighting and risers for audience seating rises up roughly half way along one side. I was wondering if anybody might have any suggestions for a way to have one or two bats appear and fly a distance of say 30 feet or so. The kicker would be to keep them hidden from the audience until the effect is needed...

Are you looking for bats that flap their wings, or would an inactive bat do? A bat dummy can be sent down a zip line (or pulled up one), or possibly a child's wind-up toy ornithopter (bird with flapping wings) can be redressed as a bat. Coming and going from boxes with flaps of black duvetyne will keep them hidden until cued. A puppet on a stick or on a fishpole also come to mind as options. Video would be another possible method, but might be too pricey for that short of an effect.

1) Put bats in (safe and humane) box

2) Open box

:p

I agree, zip line seems like the best way to do it. But it depends a lot on the path the bats need to follow - can it be a straight line near the grid from point A to point B, or do the bats need to start from the floor/another point and fly around erratically?

We have 2 bats that like to visit us during performances, affectionately named Bruce Wayne and Robin the Boy Wonder. I know that the owner of the theater would love if you borrowed them for a while, and by borrow I mean keep.... forever.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back