Flying Cape

What would you use to make a cape fly off? We have a Track that I would like to run it along but I am unsure of what type of string to use to make it invisible. The cape needs to go up and then off. So it will need to be strong enough string or rope that is can withstand friction and also be unseen by the audience. All ideas welcome!

What would you use to make a cape fly off? We have a Track that I would like to run it along but I am unsure of what type of string to use to make it invisible. The cape needs to go up and then off. So it will need to be strong enough string or rope that is can withstand friction and also be unseen by the audience. All ideas welcome!
@Plmediatech What's U/S, what's the backdrop / color?
For example: A matte black thread would be easier to hide in front of a black drop or traveller.
A matte black thread would be harder to hide in front of a brightly lit sky drop or cyc'.
In all cases; keeping direct light off your "string" will cause it to draw less attention to itself.
Brightly cross lighting your "string" will cause it to call more attention to itself.
More reflective "string", such as mono-filament fishing line, will reflect light and call attention to itself.
Optimistically there's something useful in the forgoing.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

I’ve had good luck with braided archery string for light duty trick lines. It is a similar diameter to fishing line, several times as strong, and usually comes in black or charcoal.

The cheaper solution? Braided Dacron Fishing line. The better solution Spectra fishing line, it's almost the same stuff but Dacron is thinner and even less noticeable. Both have incredibly high test strengths. I usually use 80# test for smaller tricks and light rigging of display pieces you might be able to get away with the 50# or lighter. Oh, and it's cheap and available in bulk quantities anywhere there are fishing stores or even <shudder> Walmart.

Oh and as for rigging, dacron can be run through screw eyes or even fishing rod eyelets.

<When I say rigging I mean small 'r' rigging. This is rigging for tricks, which is why dacron is often referred to as 'Trick line'. It's also used by a lot of magicians for rigging tricks. I am NOT using the Big "R" as in rigging for the theatre. Just to be clear and to stave off the impending condemnations.>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back