Flying Carpet...

You could do something with a scrim maybe? Put on a little flying carpet puppet show behind the scrim so it looks real? You'd need something that didn't create a shadow though to hold it up...

we recently ran aladen with a local dance school, they had a dancer act as the carpet than we draped our genie with the same fabric as her costume. the dancer was a gymnast so was able to do flips and cartwheels and other crazy moves. the genie was positioned behind a short wall up stage. this would hide the cast getting in to the genie. of course we had a trained tech next to the genie in case anything went wrong

If you have the ability, what also works really well, is make one video of what would be the background, show it on a cyc, or scrim, then have a video of the carpet, and show that on a scrim in front. You can get some real 3D imagery, due to the carpet video is in front of the background. We did this at a concert with great results. We had a video background and foreground of the band, so we could make them look like they were playing anywhere.

I would have as much of my set as possible be drops (silohetted with mesh) and then it could be lowered as the flying started. Behind the drop could be other scenery that could move (not necessarily projections) or could simply be a cloud effect on a scrolling gobo. The carpet would be a wheeled platform with two techs hidden upstage with control rods to move the platform (unless you have the budget to have a remote control platform like the boat in Phantom, but then you might have the budget for a true flying effect anyway).

Aladdin high school musical

Hello all,

I am the lighting designer and technician for my schools up comming musical Aladdin. Everything is set in place and our theater is being stressed to the limi so to speak.....but for the flying carpet act we can't make up our mind on how to recreate the scence as if they were flying..

Any tips or ideas?

Re: Aladdin high school musical

My first thought without flying it or using a trap is a wagon with dry ice.

Mike

I would suggest using isolated side light. If you light only them up from the sides so no light spills on the floor they will look like they are floating. Maybe a little color on the cyc and you will be set!

I would echo Victor's sugestion what i have done is in front of a black drape set a single side light on a boom about head high, with a hard cut above most performers heads. dancers dressed in black then lifted a dancer dressed in white into the light as they crossed the stage with her making flying motions.
they coult turn and spin her as she crossed.
you could expand this to four black lifters, lifting a small carpet covered platform.

Depending on how you set is build you could use cloud gobo's that are rotating or moving lights with the cloud gobo in them to simulate the moving currents of air that way they stay stationary but still gives the illusion of flying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back