Flying Chair

Zachary Tarantino

Hello,

In the planning stages for a musical (Carrie) where in one scene a chair (Less than 10lb) is throw at an actor who then stops it mid air and throws it back. My original thought was to use a curtain track with some sort of stopper where the chair needs to stop and then use the hand line to swing the chair back to the actor who threw it. Rig the chair to the main carrier using tieline/trickline.

Any thoughts or other suggestions? Thanks!

I see this ending badly. Sir Isaac Newton may be dead but his Laws of Motion are enforced by Officer Einstein of the Physics Police...
einstein.jpg

I hope you're related to Quentin because bail will be hefty if charged with violating Newton's First Law of Motion. Objects at rest/objects in motion....

Last edited:
Masked stagehands in black body suits?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I don't see a suspended chair stopping in place very convincingly; a chair on a rope makes a pretty decent pendulum. It also generally seems fraught with head-bonking potential.

What are the chances you could do this as a Bunraku style trick? Cheesy I know. The only other option would be to rig the chair on a pole or stick and have someone physically lift it from back stage, rush it across the stage and then back across. If you did it with a track the chair would have to be attached to a static rod descending from the track as opposed to any wire idea. as others have stated, too much physics at play.

Masked stagehands in black body suits?
I'm sorry Drew I didn't read your response before I posted mine. Bunraku is the Japanese puppet style this is taken from .

I am well acquainted with officer newton, ove seen his work in action too many time, Haha

Thanks for all the responses, I know the curtain track idea was kinda out there, just wanted to see what others thought!
@Zachary Tarantino Gravity, it's not only a good idea, It's THE LAW!
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Do you have line sets? I have a thought if you do.

It would require a ton of coordination, but a skycam style rig might work. A static 4 point rig to 2 travelers with 2 carriers each might also do what you wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back