flying companies - differences

jongaduet

So...

I need to fly someone for a one time fund raising stunt. I have checked out the big three companies (Foy, Hall, and ZFx) and am curious if anyone had a preference of one over the other...

Our schtick is simple. One person flies across from SL, then returns to SL. Should take 30 seconds in all. No big deal, this aint no peter pan...

Any thoughts?

Is it just me, or does doing a stunt like this seem financially backwards for a fundraiser? It is going to cost you a lot of money to do this effect once, is it really worth it? If the answer is yes, then go for it. I have a feeling that you will get the range of answers, the best thing to do is call the companies and figure out which is going to do what you you need for a price you can afford. Something tells me that ZFx or Hall will be the better choices.

oh yeah it doesn't make much sense to me either...but I guess that's why im not the executive director;). If da boss tells me to spend $3000 on a stupid gimmick, I gotta go spend $3000 on a stupid gimmick.
thanks for the info though...

Hey, we at least gotta praise ya for choosing the professional and safe route!

Insert funny boss-dying-while-cutting-corners-on-a-ridiculous-stunt joke here!!!:mrgreen:

But really, I wouldn't ever go any other way. Once I almost got 120V sent right through me by a fried el-cheapo par can while i was 20 feet above the stage on a genie lift. I'm sure we've all had a lot of close calls, but one was enough for me!

If this stunt actually goes down, i'll be totally surprised. Which kinda sucks because I really wanted to see how the whole flying rig worked. At least the part that won't get your legs broken by the flying secrecy mafia:evil:

All are great companies from my experience. Hall seems to be better at helping you create exactly what effects you are looking for, without any ego in the way or trying to force you into a scenario they use for other shows. Again, this is just from my experience. I really do not think you can go wrong with any of them, especially for something simple like you are doing.

~Dave

I am quite familiar with all 3 of these companies and all three do fine work. Indeed people have strong opinions but these tend to be related to loyalties which have a strong emotional component, something that you should be aware of. Why would more than 150 stars and about 7 current Broadway shows be working with Foy if they were not incredibly flexible? And why would hundreds of Highschools be using their services if they were not competitive in their prices. Indeed all three provide good and fairly priced services. Some alas do market themselves by mischaracterizing their competition.

I believe we use Foy but I don't know well enough to endorse them. What I do know is that the fly system set up to fly a little 110 lb. figure skater is not light..... Like not in the very least.... Even on a day when your feeling tough. So you might want to see who will be sending the stuff (and people too I would guess) the shortest distance. I'm not sure exactly what difference in costs you'd be talking about, but it's a fundraiser so every bit counts right?

I've worked with both Foy and zfx. Zfx most recently, and both are great companies. My off the cuff response is that Foy is a little bit more expensive, but for the gig you are describing, I bet the price point would be the same. It does seem like a waste of cash for the event you describe, unless they are planning on raising a couple of hundred K at the event.

I have worked with and spent a lot of time with Tracy Nunnally and his team at Hall. They are fantastic people to work with great for tailoring your gig to a workable budget. I would recommend his team to anyone.

So...

No big deal, this aint no peter pan...

HAHAHAHA I did do Peter Pan last year at my high school and that was just a blast.... anyways we used ZFX. they were great and easy to work with. i Highly recomend, and the guy who set ours up showed us Darrel and Darrel...best..game...ever...

We had in here for Into the Woods in the fall. They were incredibly professional and flexible to what we wanted to do. Our Flight Choreographer was great at interpreting what our director wanted and creating it on stage. At times he would even make recommendations and bring up ideas that no one had thought of yet. He was absolutely another member of the design team. My understanding is that they came in as the lowest bid, as I know that Foy bid as well. However, they were also doing some Master Classes as we are an educational institution, so that may have factored into the pricing. what they rigged for us seems to be the same for what you might need.
Like others have said, most companies seem to do the same thing, but for what it's worth, I would recommend ZFX.

All three are excellent, talk to each about what you want to do and get price quotes. Decide based on cost and the way they are willing to work to do your stunt. Don't worry you'll be fine with any of them.

I cannot speak for the other companies, but Fly by Foy is a great company. I have worked with them every year for a production in Madison, WI. Foy himself is great to work with, safe, very knowledgeable, and great to talk with. I would recommend them just from personal experience. :grin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back