Flying Peter Pan

I did a production of Willy Wonka with the assistance of Foy. Great experience. The flight director was a great guy. I was kind of surprised how much of the installation he had us do ourselves. I was also surprised that they allow you to take it down yourselves as I would think that they wouldn't want you to get that familiar with the system. It would have been nice if we could take pictures of everything that came out of the box so we knew what had to go back... or at least write it down...

Gaff! That's a LOT of work! Congratulations on all going well. From what I hear, flying people is HIGHLY addictive. :grin:

Just remind your school that Oz or B & B is best done by middle schoolers. Y'know....7 or 8 years from now! :lol:

I'm campaigning hard for "Once Upon a Mattress" next year. I can build them an 8' high bed on a Saturday and get some sleep. :dance:

We'll save Beast for a few years down the road when I've recovered.

Slightly off-topic, but when discussing flight cues with a Foy rigger, never ask when you should 'drop' the talent. A crew member made this mistake. Said crew member was promptly corrected: We don't DROP them, we LAND them!

I have a feeling I will be in the same boat as my daughter is in first grade, but not in the school district I work in...

My son's in a small private K-8 school so everybody knows everybody. Truth is I haven't worked so hard or had so much fun in years and all for no money... at my insistence. :confused: In short I encourage everyone to stop in and volunteer at a local school. Spend an afternoon and teach them to run their light or sound system. Teach them how to safely use the fly system. Teach them to build a flat. If you can scrape together the time. Get involved and work on a show. You'll find it refreshing and rewarding.

My son's in a small private K-8 school so everybody knows everybody. Truth is I haven't worked so hard or had so much fun in years and all for no money... at my insistence. :confused: In short I encourage everyone to stop in and volunteer at a local school. Spend an afternoon and teach them to run their light or sound system. Teach them how to safely use the fly system. Teach them to build a flat. If you can scrape together the time. Get involved and work on a show. You'll find it refreshing and rewarding.

And in my experience, as a college student working HS shows, you are often treated as if you were Jesus come back or someone. Or like Jesus while he was on earth. One of the two. However, I have found it to be a lot of fun, and for college students like myself, who work/study at places with well equipped theaters, its often good training for when you need to work a gig without the luxury of 100 odd S4s, 20 Cyc cells, 50 fresnels, 10 PARs, 14 strip lights, etc. Also, you might get some brownie points to call in next time you need a fogger and are on a low budget, not like thats ever happend... :rolleyes:

We have used Hall for "Peter Pan" at our theatre.
Tracy did a wonderful job and he went above and beyond for the success of the show! Strongly recommended

I have been a TD for a long time and have also done several flying shows. At my university we used Foy about 8 years ago and Hall last year. All systems were safe buy the Foy guy was very rigid and not easy to work with. :evil: He dictated what would happen in the show and when, and the director was very frustrated with it. Bill - the guy from Hall - actually listened to what our director wanted to do and did his best to give him the flights he wanted. No matter WHAT you do, HIRE A PROFESSIONAL, and of the pros out there, I will call Hall back every time.:grin: Great company. Great prices. and they seem to want to help you do your show your way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back