Foam coating - Audrey II

Hello all,
I'm currently building the 3rd and 4th versions of Audrey II for a Little Shop production and, as stated in the blue prints, am carving the gum line / lips out of foam and finishing out the shape of the pod with conduit/rattan ribs. My question is: is there a product to coat white "bead foam" (excuse the lack of technical term) to eliminate shedding and protect the shape from dents/chips/breaking with continued use (and feedings) ... My goal is to make the foam lips as strong and as LIGHT as possible.
Thanks for the help!

Hmmm, Wiki didn't link,
For this particular application I would use a VSSSD mixture of something in the order of 2-3 tubes Latex Caulk, 1qt Latex paint, and NO drywall compound as you want the mix to stay as flexible as possible.
< Vans Super Secret Scenic Dope>
BTW ' Bead Foam ' works. Encapsulated Poly-Styrene, also works. The only thing it's not is Extruded Poly-Styrene

The VSSSD article has other versions.

Pasti-Dip aerosol Plasti Dip Protective Coating Products | Plasti Dip Protective Coating Products | Rubber Dip Coating

This stuff is great: Inexpensive, durable and quick to apply. I've used it on several foamcore projects and it's stopped shedding right fast. I've also used it on many hard surfaces and props/furniture that were on loan that we needed to paint a different color. The great part is that you spray it on to more firm surfaces and, when you're done, you can peel it right off with zero damage to the surface underneath!! It even comes in a gloss finish that is great to protect delicate surfaces from moisture and liquid damage from paint or incidental spills

Hello all,
I'm currently building the 3rd and 4th versions of Audrey II for a Little Shop production and, as stated in the blue prints!

I too am about to begin building my own Audrey's for LSoH. What blue prints are you referring to? I'm looking for any resources out there that might help with this build. Thanks.

Casting latex is great for this as well, and works over cheesecloth - but I would recommend playing with that "Great Stuff" expanding foam insulation stuff. It hardens into flexible, very organic looking foam that I have used for giant plants, etc. Plus, it sticks like mad to ye olde 'expanded polystyrene', i.e. cheap beer cooler foam.

If going with any foam, be careful to fireproof it correctly. Those chemicals can be nasty when burnt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back