Fog a large area without making haze

egorleski

This is an interesting paradox ive experianced lately. If you want to make chilled, low lying, fog cover a large area quickly the first idea that comes to mind is to stick a fan behind it. However, this often results in the fog going out and up and every direction and becoming more of a haze instead of a spread out low fog. Now naturaly the next solution is to buy a better fog machine that pumps out a greater volume, unfortunantly that isn't really an option. Here's my hypothesis but i want to hear if u have tried this and if its worked, and what else you have tried. The haze usualy is the result from fanning the fog after it has exited tubes directing it twoard some central location. I think that perhaps if you use computer fans within fog tubes at spaced junctions then this will speed up the fog and then it will continue throught the tube thus focusing it back into a fog so the end result is less like haze. Looking forward to your responces.

What we have done is take a 2" PVC 'Y' joint, put the fogger on one point of 'Y' and a computer fan on the other, then using a dryer hose attached to the 'stem' of the 'Y', point it in what ever direction you want. Another thing to check into if you're using a fog machine/chiller setup is quick dissapating fog fluid. The fluid is specially formulated to dissapear when it gets warm, thus it dissapears when the fog rises to high. As always, make sure it is an approved fog fluid for your machine, using a fog fluid other than what is approved voids the warranty.

something that may work for you, put the fan behind the fogger, this may or may not work for you but is worth a shot.

I am slightly confused about your overall plan, but my initial assumption is that your want to make low-lying fog from a regular fog machine. Here is my two cents:
Hot air rises, cool air falls.
What you need to do is send the hot (because of the heater) output from the fog machine into some kind of a ice chamber (modified cooler). I know that this works when done correctly, and I have tried it with insufficient supplies. What I found is than when the fog is exposed to the cool air long enough to cool the fog, it does stay low. Here was the biggest issue for me: keeping the fog in the ice chamber long enough to cool it enough, and then force it out. Without forcing it out, it just dribbles out and provides enough fog to fill a shoebox.

If I am totaly off topic, I apologize and please disregard my post.
Patrick T

I'm not sure if you are asking how to make a typical chemical fogger lay low fog or if you are asking why does cold/dry ice fog disipate when you put a fan on it. So, I'll throw in thougths on both.

As has been stated by others a typcial chemical fogger can be run through a chiller to make a decent but not great low lying fog. But without the chiller forget it, it's not going to happen. There are a variety of add on chiller attachments available for sale and I'm sure someone knows how to build your own out there.

If the question is about preventing dry ice/chilled fog from hazing because you have an extra fan on it... the problem is the fan. Get more tubing and put computer fan sinside the tube to speed the fog along. If you let the fog come out of the tube and then try to put a fan near by it will never work. You've got cold fog being blown across the stage by a fan sucking much warmer air in from the room around it. While the fan is blowing the fog it's also heating the fog like crazy and fall apart quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back