Fog/mist effect without setting off fire alarms

The weird thing about this situation is that we can all agree on how to handle the partially disabled system (fire watch & some improvements to how we assign/train people for crowd management). The point of conflict is the idea that exposure to fog/haze effects is going to somehow shorten the life of the smoke detectors if we don't physically remove them from the room. The cost of hiring an electrician to do that before and after each performance adds up to an impractical expense for most shows, and seems obviously unnecessary to me. I'm hoping to find something I can point to as evidence that it's not just my opinion.

I'm not suggesting this as a solution but rather a story based on a theatre that didn't know how to survive building rentals if they completely outlawed fog and haze.
All smoke detectors located over the stage were covered with a paper dixie cup and gaff tape.

In designing and building new theatrical / entertainment / worship spaces, I firmly believe there should be a legal solution to atmospheric haze.
Currently our solution is 1. hoping for the best or 2. use no haze or 3. partially disable fire system.
Some solutions could be time based deactivating certain zones of detectors and realizing haze is a real thing and don't put particle sensing detectors in these spaces.
@macsound You're taking me back to high school in the 1950's when our Board of Ed' retrofitted our 1912-ish high school with rate of rise detectors throughout without taking into account how quickly neither a 2 Kw incandescent follow spot can raise the temperature 3' directly above its tail end in a five by five booth nor two electric tea kettles and a two burner hot plate in the staff room.
In a matter of weeks, those two detectors in particular were exchanged for alternate detectors. 'nough said.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back