Foley of someone falling down stairs.

SweetBennyFenton

Hey all. I've just been asked to make a live, onstage sound of someone falling down a flight of stairs.

We don't actually have stairs there, so I can't just throw something down them.

Has anyone done this before? Any advice?

Thanks!

Haven't tried it, don't know if it would really sound right, or if you have the room to do it. Try grabbing a carpet runner (rolled up) grab one end, and flip it so it unrolls, hitting the floor. Honestly, though, thats the first thing that popped in my head, and I don't know if its the right sound.

When I had to do this I just rolled a wooden box down a flight of stairs back stage. I experimented with different sizes of boxes and how fast to push it at the top so it would roll down the stairs.

Dustin Strobush

When I had to do this I just rolled a wooden box down a flight of stairs back stage. I experimented with different sizes of boxes and how fast to push it at the top so it would roll down the stairs.

Dustin Strobush

Isn't that what freshmen are for ? :mrgreen:

If there are to be stagehands banging on things - there isn't much need for it to actually be a staircase. They can bang on anything, but it probably won't sound very good ...

Depending on what kind of resources you have, and how important the effect is to the show, would building a staircase backstage to throw something down be a possibility? It would not need to be very wide, and could maybe be tucked in a corner or something ...

The only other thing I can think of would be some kind of wooden ladder that could be "strummed" - for lack of a better word - with multiple objects to get the right sound ... not sure how well that might work. :confused:

Clark

Random thought that I have no idea if it will work, but the better judgement from other members can tell you if it is stupid. (or you could probably do that yourself...)

I just think you need to find some sort of garbage can, or something of a nice material that will roll. Then you put something inside that will clamber around when you roll whatever cylindrical receptacle you choose. From my theoretical standpoint, you can throw it forward, so it will make the first smack, and then the familiar sound of how a freshman would roll down the stairs. It might also work to roll the can over something bumpy. (Someone can be on the catching end to stop it. Someone could also be inside the can...) This would also depend on how much room you have backstage...

Just a thought. I have no experience with anything at all similar, but I decided to just put the idea out there. (The idea will probably need some modifying to work, if it is even a good idea in the first place.)

I was going to suggest a large piece of 1/2" plywood suspended off the ground, and a few short 2x4 blocks to bang on it with or just toss them onto the plywood one at a time in succession. That's gotta make the "thunk" sound that would hopefully emulate the stairs. If too harsh, wrap the blocks in carpet or felt before you toss them. but if it's in a theater it will have to be loud, so bare wood might work better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back