Follow Spots

Robert F Jarvis

We need two new Follow Spot.s. One to replace a huge, very old one for our main 240 seat theatre. Distance to stage from light booth about 70'. The other is for our smaller theater with about 40' to stage. Are LED Follow Spots bright enough now? Ideas welcome,

Im thinking $3000 - $4000. Some I saw online included:
75W - Chauvet DJ LED Followspot 75ST 75 Watt white LED $700 B&H bhphotovideo.com
120W - Chauvet DJ LED Followspot 120ST 120 Watt LED $830 Full Compass.
350w - Mega-Lite DRAMA FS-LED 700 $2,000 350 Watt (Comp 700 watt) Newlighting.com
300W - ADJ FS-3000 LED 300W COB $1500 Prime Buy
750W - Lycian Clubspot 7.5 750 watt Tungsten $2,400 Full Compass (Throw 150' Contender for main stage)
575W - ADJ FS-1000 575 Halogen (equiv 1000 watt ??) $350 Requires Pro Gel filters. B&H bhphotovideo.com

I'm not sure if LED are up to the 70' throw in our larger theater yet. I'm anxious to hear if anyone has expereince with any of these.

Followspots should be a buy once-cry once investment. I would not go with chauvet DJ or ADJ for such a thing. That's a buy once, never stop crying type of investment.

Lycian is the big name in the industry, I've heard good things about canto LED spots as well, but I haven't demo'd them personally (and the meter readings have been underwhelming--LED spots like to do things with color temp to make them look really bright in a shootout, but that all goes away when you want color correction)

FWIW, we have a couple of the LED Zot in our rental inventory, and they're pretty popular. The couple jobs I've used them on, I've been happy with them at roughly 50' throw. Corporate events though, so I haven't personally seen them with theatrical stage light, just LEDs/Arc source moving lights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back