Followspot aiming tips

I'm with you 100% about not depending on tape for mounting your Telrad or other positioning device. It will fail. Magnets will also eventually let you down because the device will get bumped and the magnets will allow movement. Ratchet straps can be quite useful, but ultimately it's nicest to install something permanant. At the opera house where I used to work, we installed aluminum wings atop the booth Super Troopers (if you pull off the chrome trim rail on top it leaves holes that you can bolt through without having to drill anything) and on the Robert Juliat spots in the ceiling cove we installed angle iron rails with some trick little custom aluminum plates that clamp onto the angle iron and give you a solidly bolted, yet completely adjustable, Telrad mount. Because the angle iron runs the length of the spotlight, you can also position your Telrad anywhere along it, and it also gave us a convenient place to clamp weights near the front that, because of the steepness of our downshot, adjusted the balance point correctly. Fixed weights work a lot better than swinging weights from a steadiness perspective. In many opera and ballets we ran the follow spots at relatively low intensity levels, and also with frost, which made it nearly impossible to see your beam. I found that the Telrads middle circle was exactly the right size to frame my human target in a full body shot, and by keeping them inside that circle, I was assured that my light always had them covered. Pete...are you still with Robert Juliat? I've retired from SF Opera and Ballet since you and I worked together.

Last edited:
Jim, Still here at RJ! Yeah, the mounting options are quite varied and what works for an permanent install isn't appropriate for a one off, rental or other. Your sighting solution at SFO was really trick! And as you and Derek mention followspot lighting can be subtle and sublime, either due to artistic direction or simple stage light overpowering the followspot. I always had an issue working Ice Shows, where the pool of light would kind of penetrate the ice and when a few lights combined I would sometimes lose which one was mine. The Telrad is the easiest device I've used that allows you to see where you should be and still keep your show awareness in those occasions. (not a corporate endorsement, personal experience) If "required" by a show or situation I would use a device, but it was never my "go to" followspot situation. It was just more junk to have to tote around.
Jim, still riding? Give me a call when you have some time to chat!

Nothing worse than running a light for an ice show, seeing a followspot that's totally lost, then realizing it's YOU!

Another word on magnets: some lights, notably Strong Glad IV and Altman Explorer, don't have ferrous metal in any appropriate place for which to mount a sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back