Followspot color choices

Do you use color in your followspots?

• You can put color in a followspot?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: followpost gels

I always use Rosco 3408 which is 1/2 CTO converting 5,500ºK to 3,800ºK. It still stands out a bit but not enough to make it stick out like a sore thumb.

jonliles, I suspect you are confusing CRI with Color Temperature. NHStech, your instincts are good, Fatherless Amber would work to an extent, but a variant of CTO would be more precise. Once the followspot is "corrected" to the same as the frontlights, the same color can then be used in both, or a less-saturated hue, or N/C (except for the CTO) in the followspot.

See also the thread Followspot gels.

[EDIT: This thread merged with that one.]

Last edited:
Standard Spotlight Gels

Just wondering what the standard gel colors are for spotlights? My two midget's have had their gels changed by students last year and I want to get back to the originals to help with our touring groups that come in. They are traditionally Roscoe right?

Thanks for any help!

Re: Standard Spotlight Gels

(Above post moved to this thread from another location.)

The standard is that there is NO standard (other than as some are delivered from the manufacturer as listed above.) Yes Roscolux is the most prevalent, but there's no reason you can't use LEE, GAM, or Apollo.

An interesting approach is the PDF file attached. The colors were chosen both for their use individually, as well as the ability to subtractively mix other useful colors.
View attachment spotcolor_EGGSHELLCOLOR2010.pdf

The Robert Juliat gear always comes equipped with a set of High Temp Gels and they used to put a sticker on the color changer that indicated the color provided. about 5 to 6 years back they stopped putting the sticker on and now use a magnet that you can write on with a dry erase pen to indicate the color in each frame.

An interesting approach is the PDF file attached. The colors were chosen both for their use individually, as well as the ability to subtractively mix other useful colors.
View attachment 4341

That's really interesting! I've thought in the past about trying to use subtractive color mixing in follow spots to mix other colors, but I never took the time to really work out the combinations. Next time I have some free time, I'm gonna load up these colors and see how it looks. Thanks for sharing!

I do spotlighting on a weekly basis, many times winging it without a cue caller. I really like to have the following loaded up in our Lycian spots with the Zenon lamp which outputs light that is approximately Sunlight colored.

Frost- usually Lee 132 which has a fairly well defined area when used
Pink- usually Lee 111 or Rosco 33 maybe 34
Light Blue- normally Rosco 60 or maybe a bit darker
Lavender- Probably Rosco 55 or 57 which looks good for skin tones
Color Correction- Normally full or half CTO to match the incandescent lighting
Neutral Density- usually half because Lycians are bright

I do spotlighting on a weekly basis, many times winging it without a cue caller. I really like to have the following loaded up in our Lycian spots with the Zenon lamp which outputs light that is approximately Sunlight colored.

What is a Zenon lamp? Was it for the Disney channel movie? ;-)

I answered "All the time" but is really most of the time. Whether doing concert work, the majority for me, or theatre, I use gel according to the requirements of the show. The same goes for soft or hard edges, depends on the show or even a particular number.

I'm guessing you mean Rosco 132, not lee.

We usually have R132 diffusion, and s n/c pink and n/c blue loaded, and swap out a lot depending on the show.

Tangent question: Do any other brands beside Lycian come with the spreader lens, and does anyone besides myself make use of it?

The Robert Juliat gear always comes equipped with a set of High Temp Gels and they used to put a sticker on the color changer that indicated the color provided. about 5 to 6 years back they stopped putting the sticker on and now use a magnet that you can write on with a dry erase pen to indicate the color in each frame.

Funny, a colleage of mine just purchased one and it came with no gel what so ever.

Funny, a colleage of mine just purchased one and it came with no gel what so ever.

Really? We just bought two Robert Juliat Topaze 1200w MSD spots and they both came with a full compliment of gel's in the ziplock bag with the manual. Not bad color choices ether, I'd tell your colleage to call RJ and make sure he wasn't supposed to get gels, most likely he was and it was missed.

Chatted with him again, apparently he just didn't like the color and chucked it. Thats what I get for thinking I was there when he first opened the box. /eyeroll

this is the current list of gels supplied by the RJ factory. i don't know if they offered something different in the past.

[FONT=&quot] Gel Lee Filter ref. 101 > YELLOW[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- Gel Lee Filter HT ref. 115 > Peacock Blue[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- Gel Rosco Supergel ref. 339 > Boadway pink[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- Gel Lee Filter HT ref. 141 > Bright Blue[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- Gel Lee Filter ref. 153 > Pale Salmon[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- Gel Lee Filter HT ref. 26 > Bright Red[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]No idea as to why any of these colors were chosen.
[/FONT]

I have a show coming up for a corporate shin-dig. And it is going to have follow spots. But I have no clue what kind yet. Going to have R60 in all my 575w Fixtures. What Colors would you suggest to have on hand to try and color match a follow spot?

If the followspots you encounter have the same color temperature as your 575W lamps (assuming 3200K), you'll just need the R60. If the spot is an arc source (likely) I'd take R3410 1/8CTO and add as many layers as you need (probably 4--giving you 1/2CTO). Additionally, R3318 1/8MinusGreen (probably one or two layers) can be used the same way and will be beneficial if there are cameras.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back