Foot Lights

One fixture to look at would be the Ovation Cyc 1.
It is weird that Chauvet seems to have the wrong video posted.;)

I've taken to using the GLP X4-Bars. They have two really cool features you don't usually find in footlights -- they tilt! they zoom! -- and they can also be set in pixel mapping mode, which can be used to drop down from footlighting an ensemble to just a single performer, which can be a really cool effect. They're a little bulky, so I often mount them off the front edge of the stage. They have a big enough tilt range that you can point them at the audience (at 3% or so -- they're bright!)

There are some less-expensive similar models out there. Most have a wider spacing between LED emitters, making them less adept at lighting the entire company, but might serve your purpose.

Thanks to all who replied. You've given me some ammunition and I'm off to look closer. Hope to be able to put up some observations on whatever we get.

On a 2nd read I noted that idea of mounting them off the stage front. And the ability to turn into audience. Just what director Is asking for.
"Consider yourself well in..."

Ah, a good, wholesome family musical... if you family is filled with thieves, rapists, domestic abusers, murderers and child enslavers.

"We will not reduce our prices, keep your vices usual."

I've wondered if just tape light behind or touted into a 1x2 on edge wouldn't be quite effective. Maybe not only light unless performer is addressing audience directly but as a key.

If you want something that’s designed for foot lighting, check out the DALIS 864 from Robert Juliat. Pricey, but the color and output are definitely worth it. And they can be floor mounted, segmented for more nuanced effects, and even have safety lights built in to ensure visibility of the stage apron in blackout!

The Chauvet Pix-M USB's were exactly the "less-expensive similar models" I mentioned in my post above. For their price point, they are fantastic! but! as I mentioned, there's quite a bit of space between emitters, which effects coverage, especially at very close range as footlights tend to be.

Edit: If you get the Chauvet ColorBands, make certain you get the 2.0 version, which has PowerCon and 5-pin DMX connectors. (The first generation only have IEC and 3-pin.) Also, don't confuse the Pix-Ms for the other, non-tilting ColorBands, of which there seem to be several dozen different models.

I the past I have used strip light bars that I had hanging around that had been donated to the community theater I am former tech director of. The ones that use be hung over school stages. See attached picture. What I would do is put these in front of the stage at an angle aimed towards the stage on a couple of cinder blocks. Than connected them to a dimmer on the lighting system. They make for a great makeshift fast solution when you need foot lights last minuit fast. Allow for you to install jells in them for colors. Now you state in your comment some foot light you can walk over. I can not help you there that would be something that I don't know about unfortunately as I am not a lighting professional and just learned lighting by hands on. Phots source http://thtr382.weebly.com/cyc-lighting.html.

Attachments

• striplightpar.jpg
    striplightpar.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 105
Just looked at that Chauvet Ovation cyc. That product looks killer. I love that it's wide, makes it seem less obtrusive. Also love the daisychain powercon.
Really wanna find a usecase for it.
In the video they show bottom lit only. Anyone on the inside know what the trim on that cyc was?

Just looked at that Chauvet Ovation cyc. That product looks killer. I love that it's wide, makes it seem less obtrusive. Also love the daisychain powercon.
Really wanna find a usecase for it.
In the video they show bottom lit only. Anyone on the inside know what the trim on that cyc was?

The trim of that CYC was about 18' if I recall correctly. We shot that a while ago, so, my detail recall is a little foggy, but I want to say it was 18-20'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back