Footlights?

While I myself have not yet specifically designed for film video or television, as the LD you would want to know how much light the camera's need. With this knowledge you can then design your rig accordingly. I don't know all the details, but I'm sure John Hirsh does.

I agree with the use of footlights for specific effects and dancing shows. I use them every year during dance season. They are, however, an unrealistic form of lighting. I don't know the show in question Char, but remember that in realistic shows like Miracle Worker and Dairy of Anne Frank, they don't have a place. I say this because a good friend of mine, long time director, actor, and voice actor, said, "God did not intend for light to come up." Meaning, when you go outside or even in a room, the light just about always comes from the front, side, behind, and/or overhead. Sorry for the use of that name, couldn't think of a better way to put it, plus it is also the original quote too.

SerraAva: This is a perfect example of motivated versus unmotivated lighting, as it was once described to me. Footlights are in essence, unmotivated, as there are very few occurrences in nature when light will seem to emit from beneath a person. While I agree that Anne Frank or Miracle Worker are "realistic" in nature, as in they are a show about real people in a "real" setting that the audience is familiar with, I do no agree with the statement that footlights don't have a place in such a production. That decision is wholly in the hands of the designer. Perhaps I wanted to uplight Anne as she slumped to her knees, recognizing her cruel fate. While there would be no light in the "real" room or world that would create the effect, it would be visually pleasing to the audience and illuminate her in a way that evokes sadness and capitalizes on her slender, frail figure. A lighting coming from a steep upward angle is the only light that will give me the desired effect/look on her, thus, the unmotivated footlight works. It would be complimented, however, by motived fixtures streaming light in the windows, creating the illusion of candle light, etc.

As for footlights in general, I love them. Its sad when I see too many theaters who have done away with their pit rails and have painted over and sealed the footlight flaps. I used them for a rendition of Les Mis and LOVED the almost ghastly effect I could create in deep reds and blues.

For Rock and Roll, I have seen LED panels used incredibly effectively as footlights. Placed close to the performer they emit a very small amount of heat energy but still allow for a rich and bright fill light. I remember OAR used them on one of their tours -- very effective. Its nice, once in a while, to see the spot lights cut out and just see the lead singer etched out from the bottom, a really interesting look. Try it sometime!

This isn't completely relevant to the footlight comment, but I had heard a rumor at some point about lighting for video. Someone had mentioned that they had heard that you can triple-gel an instrument with close to primary RGB and manage to get an instrument that wouldn't show much light at all, if any, on stage; however, when looked at through a video camera it would show up more and allow for additional light for video folks. In this manner, they wouldn't have to alter the look of the show, but were able to help the video folks out if they happened to have a lower-key camera. 'Something about waves of light that some of those finicky video cameras pick up versus what we can see. Anyone heard this?

Funny you mention that Jezza. When I last did Dairy of Anne Frank, for the end scene, I had a leko over the exact spot which each actor ended up. Only these were on, and I faded each one out one at a time to represent them dieing. The only two left were Anne and her father, face to face with each other. Anne's light faded out slowly as she turned to the audience. Mep and Mr Kraller then came into the scene as Mr Frank's light faded out and the scene up. Very powerful, effective, and unrealistic. Point is, for effect, we do unrealistic things. That was meant to be the end of Mr Frank's flashback, pulling him back to reality. If someone wanted to do it with footlights, they could, or some other interesting take on it. I meant for they have use for effect, not reality. Should have worded it rarely instead of never. I apologize for the miss wording and understanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back