For the first aid kit

@GreyWyvern and @Jim Norton Of course you may need shop air to fire the really long crown-topped staples all the way in.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

They have battery powered ones now. I have one that will shoot about 400 1 1/2" staples on a 1.5 amp hour battery. It's heavier than a pneumatic one, but not having to deal with an air hose is well worth the trade off.

@TimMc With a pneumatic wide-crown, right?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

No no no. You need a narrow crown for that. Apparently scars aren't as cool anymore. So you want the narrow crown to help reduce the size of it. Also a friendly reminder to use stainless steel staples if your not sure about your tetanus shot being up to date.

These are neat, but I don't see them having a place in most work environments. That being said, I keep a large EMT trauma kit when I'm heading jobsites, with a lot of stuff that a standard fist aid kit wouldn't have. Better safe than sorry. I had a recent incident where the responding rural EMT needed to raid my bag for some of the basics, as she was out.

A product I've never seen in a first aid kit are the clear dressings marketed by 3M as "tegaderm". They do a great job of covering and protecting the wound, and, in my experience, accelerate healing and minimize scarring. Considering how dirty we can get at work, and how regular dressings fall off, I highly recommend them.

I also make sure my little first aid kits have CPR shields and extra sterile dressings added to them. Benedryl, burn pads, butterfly closures, glucose tablets, and emergency blankets are always a plus in a real emergency, and rarely come in the drugstore kit. Tourniquets aren't a bad idea if you have a shop with power tools. Hide an extra flashlight in the kit, too. Check your stock often, and make sure it's not expired and that the bandaids are still sticky.

Back in my serious backpacking & camping youth I carried sutures and hemostats among the less traditional supplies. You can do minor surgery with Anbesol and a #12 Xacto knife blade...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back