For the First Time Since World War II, The Pageant of the Masters Will Not Happen This Summer

cdub260

CBMod
CB Mods
I got the official word a few days ago. The 2020 Pageant of the Masters has been cancelled. I knew it was coming. There was no way we could complete the show, having lost a third of our build time to the California Stay at Home order. Plus, ticket sales were way down due to the uncertainty of whether we would even be allowed to have a show this summer.

I'm still not sure where this leaves me as far as work is concerned. Having now used up all of my vacation time, I will be on unpaid leave starting next week. I'm hoping that even without the show going on, that the full time staff will be allowed to return to work soon, but I can't predict what our board of directors will decide.

Still, we should be back at it for the 2021 season if performance venues are allowed to reopen by then.

Sucks even more cause if the extra stimulus doesn’t kick in and unemployment goes back to normal. Be safe man.

There's a little good news for me. I've found some work to tide me over for a while. I'll be driving the Zamboni at a local ice skating rink for the next few months.
Will you need to avoid hockey players / skaters, or are there none to avoid?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Granted, I'm still in the training faze of the job, but so far, they've all managed to escape from the ice before I can even get the Zamboni out there.

No extra points for me. :wall::boohoo:

Bumper sticker seen on a car in Dublin, California, 30 years ago - "My other car is a Zamboni."

Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard
From what I could gather from a former coworker who moonlighted as a Zamboni driver and ice technician (well, I think technically he drove an Olympia machine), the most dangerous bit of the job seemed to be changing the blade when it got dull. Handling a 6' or 8' steel blade that was scary sharp on both sides (so it could be reversed for twice the life before having to take it to the resharpening place) whilst bolting it in place on the underside of the cutter head gizmo did indeed sound rather fraught with peril. I was a bit surprised they didn't use some sort of a rotating helical cutter head, but instead working basically as a giant razor. That's not how I would have initially thought to design such a machine; but then again I have no experience at all, even on an amateur level, with designing ice resurfacers nor do I really understand the challenges involved.

I'm on unpaid leave through September 30th.

My furlough has been extended another five months until March 1st. 2020.

Looks like I'll be driving the Zamboni for a bit longer than expected. Fortunately, it's at least a fun job, not too difficult. The process itself is relatively easy. I just have to pay attention and not get distracted while I'm cutting the ice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back