Forcing lauan into controlled warp

malex

I'm looking to create a vertical hard drop made of strips of lauan.
Lots of 6'-8' long strips hung vertically, looking sort of like a deck.
Id like to sidelight the panel, and am looking for some character and texture. I'll likely shoot the whole thing with drywall mud texture before painting it, but would also like to give the panels some light warping to keep the whole thing from looking too flat. Think side of an old barn kind of warping.

I've dealt with plenty of warped lauan and know how it happens accidentally, but have not tried to intentionally do it.

Do you all think if I sprayed all of the strips with water, then left them in the sun to dry, I would achieve some warp in a day or so? Not sure if I would need to saturate them really well or just get one side damp. I'm a little worried about either overdoing it or ending up spending a week doing trials to find the right amount of warp.

Hoping someone has been there before.

How about putting a couple of spray cans on thier sides, laying the strips over them with the cans in the center, or off center a bit and then wetting them and letting them dry? They will likely retain the slight bend once they dry out. You can weight down the ends with gallon cans as well to try to force the shape.

How about putting a couple of spray cans on thier sides, laying the strips over them with the cans in the center, or off center a bit and then wetting them and letting them dry? They will likely retain the slight bend once they dry out. You can weight down the ends with gallon cans as well to try to force the shape.
I like this one! Just propping them up against the wall at different angles would probably give them all different warps. Thanks!

You could always build a plywood frame to attach them to. Give the ribs of the frame the curve you want and then attach the strips. It will give you a more controlled and predictable approach, if that's vital to you and you don't have the time to experiment. My guess is that some water will do the trick, but if you want to really ensure it, why not force them to the shape you need?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back