Formatting Disks

Xzilenifo

Hi again guys,

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out how to save shows to disk on an old Genius GSX/LBX Strand Lighting board. It's one of those old grey contraptions with 24 subs and 3 effects. When I try to format 1.44MB floppy disks on the console, I get an error. Also, I get an error when I try to save to or load from disk. It's always the same error, in the log it says "Diagnostic 17." My theory is that the board isn't recognizing the "newer" disks, and I was wondering if there was a way to rig them so the board could recognize them. Or, if anyone has any ideas where I can find 750 KB floppy disks.

Any advice or help is appreciated.

EDIT: On another note, the higher ups at my theater are thinking about replacing the board. Any suggestions? The only thing I really put on it is that it needs to run under $40,000 and support Strand dimmers.

Last edited:
You could try formatting the floppy in a M$-Windows PC (if you can find one with a 3.5" drive) as a 720Kb capacity disk. Make sure you do a "full" format, not a "quick" one.

You probably know this, but just in case: to format the disk stick it in the drive, start Windows Explorer (hold down the Windows key and press "E"), right click on "3 1/2 Floppy ( A: )" and select "Format".

It might not work with your Genius board, but it is probably worth a try.

HTH.

do you have the gsx?... blue board with crappy buttons and 24 subs?....

It sounds like you are using a GSX/LBX desk. They are notorius for having problems with disks. If it is a very old desk, your best best is to see if you have any DD (double density - 720KB) disks about. They are very rare these days. I have a box or two that I hold on to for these occasions.
The original GSX's were designed to run off them as oppossed to the HD disks we know & love.

A cunning way around this is to cover over the slot opposite the disk memory lock with a piece of tape- gaffe etc on a standard HD floppy. As daft as this seems the desk will probably read the disk now. It has worked for me on many touring occasions.
Also try formatting the disk through the console only & not with any other computer.

as aside I can send you on the GSX OLE if you so wish.

hope this helps

eamon

Thanks for the tip, I'll definetly give that a try next time I get the chance.

Also, I'd actually really appreciate the OLE for the GSX/LBX. I was poking around the 'net looking for it but it looks like it's been taken out of circulation.

If you'd send it to me at [email protected] I'd be very appreciative.

hi

Ok got HD & DD mixed up.

my point about a GSX/LBX being problematic with disks is more so concerned with older models of the desks. New builds definitely made using a HD disk easier & proper. There are older desks out there that will not accept a HD disk or need the gaffe trick to do.
If you tour a lot then you will see this problem though not as much due to the GSX/LBX being outmoded & out of manufacture.

Re the edit to the OP's 1st post, with $40,000 i reckon you should be very able to replace the desk............

But seriously if you wish to updated within Strand then the 300 or 500 series will suffice depending on your needs. I won't start reccommeding other desks because we could be here a while!

hope that helps

will send on the OLE. Never actually tried it on XP. def works on 98/2000 but will try that out now. Strand removed it from the website ages ago.
eamon

Xzilenifo said:
Hi again guys,

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out how to save shows to disk on an old Genius GSX/LBX Strand Lighting board. It's one of those old grey contraptions with 24 subs and 3 effects. When I try to format 1.44MB floppy disks on the console, I get an error. Also, I get an error when I try to save to or load from disk. It's always the same error, in the log it says "Diagnostic 17." My theory is that the board isn't recognizing the "newer" disks, and I was wondering if there was a way to rig them so the board could recognize them. Or, if anyone has any ideas where I can find 750 KB floppy disks.

Any advice or help is appreciated.

EDIT: On another note, the higher ups at my theater are thinking about replacing the board. Any suggestions? The only thing I really put on it is that it needs to run under $40,000 and support Strand dimmers.

Others have offered good advice as far as getting the disk issue straightened out. As far as replacing the desk, it's hard to offer a recommendation with no knowledge of the size or requirements of the space, but, if you're comfortable with the Strand syntax, it ports right over to the Strand 300 which is a modern and quite powerful board (little brother to the 500 series which has more moving-light geared features). What kind of Strand dimmers do you have? As long as they're DMX most any current lighting console will talk to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back