Design FREE Lighting Design Software

norbe

I'm going to design some lights for a local musical. I'm in search of some free software (freeware) to design and print lighting plots, schedules, ect. Does anyont know where I might find something like that? All of the ones I've found are extremely expensive, I don't have $ to spend on this, so I'm looking for some freeware or open source project. :)

Check out LX Free if you don't need really complicated stuff. Otherwise VW is king and free since you are a student. You can also use the lightwright demo version for the paperwork if you have less than 75 fixtures.

Check out LX Free if you don't need really complicated stuff. Otherwise VW is king and free since you are a student. You can also use the lightwright demo version for the paperwork if you have less than 75 fixtures.

Vectorworks seems to be the prefered one around here, I also know a lot of people using LD Assistant with AutoCAD, its supposed to be just as good if not better than VW (I use VW for lighting and some non lighting stuff, have started using AutoCAD for non lighting stuff recently). I used LX Free until I started as a Theatre major, and it works great. The tools might not be the easiest to use always (the drawing features gag me), but its definately pretty useful, and does a lot of paperwork functions. If you need a quick solid plot, thats where I would go. However, if you dont have a mac, I dont know that it works. At that point, I would go vectorowrks, or convince someone to buy me LD Assistant stand alone.

The really big advantage to using LX Free is there wont be watermarking on it. Everythign else gets watermarked, and if this isnt for your school, you might have some issues with that, and need to either buy a program or get a free one.

I used LX Free until I started as a Theatre major, and it works great. The tools might not be the easiest to use always (the drawing features gag me), but its definately pretty useful, and does a lot of paperwork functions. If you need a quick solid plot, thats where I would go. However, if you dont have a mac, I dont know that it works.

There is a LXFree Java that will work on Windows and Linux if you have Java installed. It is way behind the mac version though.

Microlux has a light version as well, although I wouldn't recommend it. I will however, put further support in LxFree Java, and add that although not exactly the same thing, Beamwright 5 is a nice software to have--it's free as well.

Last edited:
If you can get away with the watermark, VW is the way to go. I could never go back to using LX Free having started to use VW, it is just much much more powerful and efficient once you get rolling with it.

If you can get away with the watermark, VW is the way to go.

Get away with the watermark? As in use it outside of an educational situation breaking the ELU? Tell me thats not what you're implying here.

Grogg12, Not to speak for metti, but I think the implication was meant to be if its in an educational setting. As the watermark renders the document unfit for non-educational work, the idea would be that being able to have it would imply the conditions of the ELU.

Grogg12, Not to speak for metti, but I think the implication was meant to be if its in an educational setting. As the watermark renders the document unfit for non-educational work, the idea would be that being able to have it would imply the conditions of the ELU.

Feel free to speak for me in the future. Your answer was pretty much spot on with what I would have said. My intended implication was that VW would be a good choice if the OP was planning to use the software within the terms of the ELU. As he is listed as a high school student, I would consider it to be possible that he is designing for academic or community theatre. While community theatre designs by a student are a bit of a grey area, the consensus that I have gotten from past discussions on this topic is that students can use a student license for unpaid work outside of school as this is more-or-less in furtherance of their education. If the OP chimes in regarding the exact nature of the production we can certainly say whether or not it would be appropriate to use a student license.

I got and downloaded the VW for but students but it has yet to actually work. I was accepted to be able to use it but after the download it woun't open. Anyone have any tips or trouble with downloiading it?

I got and downloaded the VW for but students but it has yet to actually work. I was accepted to be able to use it but after the download it woun't open. Anyone have any tips or trouble with downloiading it?

Try downloading again. Its possible that the 7+ GB file was broken in the download. Happened to me once.

There are two types of downloads you can do for the student version. Make sure you download the larger file. If you download the small file you will not get any of the libraries that come with the program.

There are two types of downloads you can do for the student version. Make sure you download the larger file. If you download the small file you will not get any of the libraries that come with the program.

Ok so i am downloading the 2011 vectorworks sp1 series e full.zip is that right or is it something else?

I think that is right. By the way, they will mail you a DVD of the program for free if that is easier.

I hate to keep writing but after the download it won't open because it says its zipped. there is now way to open it...also i thought the dvd is only a upgrade subscription thing.

I hate to keep writing but after the download it won't open because it says its zipped. there is now way to open it...also i thought the dvd is only a upgrade subscription thing.

They might not do it anymore but as of 2010 they happily mailed me my student copy. I just requested it through the student portal thing. I ended up buying 2011 so I'm not sure if that is still an option. Are you sure you are downloading the correct version for your OS (Windows vs OSX)?

Did you try unzipping the file? (this might be a dumb question but you never know)

Did you try unzipping the file? (this might be a dumb question but you never know)

haha well tht is not a dumb question now. My dad has been doing all the downloads so im guessing he didn't unzipp it. hopfully it will work if he knows how to unzipp it.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back